Thread: Auto populate a number of cells from a drop down selection in Excel

Auto populate a number of cells from a drop down selection in Excel

I am working on creating a form in Excel that needs to contain different information in the body of the form based on the selection from a drop down list. for example: if I choose "C2" from the drop down list then I want cell A5 to fill with "The car sped by at 55 mph." and cell B5 with "puppies sure are cute." and cell A6 with "crack is whack." and cell B6 with "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse." All of this fill-in information would be on another worksheet.

Re: Auto populate a number of cells from a drop down selection in Excel

I would recommend creating a VLOOKUP table with all your options, and then using various VLOOKUP formulas to find the selections you want for each cell such as =VLOOKUP(a1,YourLookupTable,4,FALSE).

Re: Auto populate a number of cells from a drop down selection in Excel

If all the various cells respond the same way every time to each selection, that is, if "B5" always says "puppies are cute" whenever "C2" is selected, then yes this can be done with nested IF stmts, or Vlookup, etc. in each of the response cells. The dropdown box has a cell link in its control that changes value based on the selection. For instance, if "C2" is your first selection in the dropdown, the link cell value will be "1". If you choose the second selection, let's say it is "D3", then the link cell value will be "2", etc. That link cell value can be used to determine the value you enter into the various response cells - as I said by a Vlookup, IF stmts, etc.