Thread: How to transfer entire day from one column to another in Excel

How to transfer entire day from one column to another in Excel

How would you transfer all your data from one column into another column. For Eg from Column A to column B.

Re: How to transfer entire day from one column to another in Excel

There are many ways to do this. First it can be done via copy and paste. You just need to choose the column copy them and paste it on another column. Just copy it and insert a new column A. Then in B1 enter =A1 and copy down. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

"Transfer" indicates to me that you want to move the data. Cut and paste the entire column A to Column B. Copy and paste if you want data in A to remain. Alternative to copy and paste would be to enter =A1 in B1 then double-click on the fill handle to copy down.

Click on the column header to select the whole column, next slide your cursor just below the header until it changes back to the arrow, next hold down the mouse button and drag the column where you want it.

I guess I should make myself more clear. What I am trying to do is as follows: I have been letting each column represent a day, and each cell a task I have been doing. So now I have about 10 columns filled in. But to make the sheet more presentable, I want to insert blank columns for Saturday and Sunday. (I don't work then!) So, how do I go back and insert blank columns? Because, if I use the cut/copy&paste option, surely I would just be dumping the data from one column onto another one? Unless, I suppose, I start from the last column, which has nothing to the right of it, cut and paste that a few places to the right, and then, working my way from right to left, move each column a few spots to the right, until I have some empty columns in the middle representing Sat + Sun. But is there a more efficient way? My eventual goal is to be able to make the computer do whatever I want simply by snapping my fingers at it, so getting advice from you guys is a first step in that direction.

Here is one more way you can try out. Right click Insert > Columns wherever you wish. i.e. select column C & D and Insert > Columns to get two blank columns. And then simply drag your data by selecting the entire range to another one. Thats all.