Thread: I need help to lock pivot table header in Microsoft Excel

I need help to lock pivot table header in Microsoft Excel

I apply word wrap on column headings in my pivot table. This expands the header row to 6 lines high. Then I manually resize the row back to 3 lines high to conserve space. However, now when I alter the filters on the table, the pivot table resizes the header back to 6 lines high. H ow can I lock the header height. I have managed to do this somehow on some older spreadsheets, but even when I try to use the format painter to transfer the settings from sheets that do have a fixed header row height to my new
    pivot table row, it still can't keep the row height fixed less than the word wrap wants it to be.

Re: I need help to lock pivot table header in Microsoft Excel

Right-click on a cell in the pivot table, and choose Table Options. Remove the check mark from AutoFormat table. Add a check mark to Preserve formatting. Click OK.

Re: I need help to lock pivot table header in Microsoft Excel

I was toggling those settings, I should have mentioned. After seeing how word wrap was treated by the pivot table fields I was able to figure out the problem. If you select the row and apply word wrap, the pivot table treats the selection as applying to the field name (like when you have the down arrow in the pivot table header and select). The full answer was to select just part of the pivot table and also outside the pivot table, then the wrap appears to apply just to the cells selected. Then you can manually set the row height and the pivot table allows the manual override to continue when it updates.