Thread: How to get a kind of random report generator for Audit purpose via Excel

How to get a kind of random report generator for Audit purpose via Excel

I have a set of data that contains page numbers from a report that I run. These page numbers can appear multiple times in any given report based on activity on that page. I run a frequency of the number of times a given page appears. I would like to take a random sampling of this report for audit purposes, but I would like the random sample to be propotionally weighted based on the frequency a page appears on my reports. For example if ten page numbers appear on my report, but page number 1 appears four
    times. I want page number 1 to be weighted in such a way that it is four times as likely to appear on my random sampling. Is there anyway to set a up a generator to make this happen. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to get a kind of random report generator for Audit purpose via Excel

Make a copy of your list with each entry separate four separate listings of page 1 from your example next to this column enter = rand() copy and paste in the cells next to each page listing select both columns and sort based on the rand() column If you are willing to check page 1 more than once just take the top or bottom number of cells to check. If you just want the selection to have mulitple chances and you only want to test page1 oncejsust select the top unique numbers in your list. there are many ways
    ot do this.

Re: How to get a kind of random report generator for Audit purpose via Excel

Suppose you currently have two columns of data, the page numbers (B1:B100) and their frequencies (C1:C100). Add a third column to the left (which may be hidden) for the cumulative frequency. It starts at zero; subsequent cells add the frequency of the previous row (e.g. A2 is =A1+C1). The random sample can be selected by: =vlookup(sum(C1:C100)*rand(), A1:C100, 2) Of course, you could compute SUM(C1:C100) once in a cell (e.g. A101) and refer to that cell in the VLOOKUP() function.

Note: I do not like the fact that RAND() is recomputed every time the spreadsheet is modified -- anywhere(!), and I do not like to disable auto calculation. So I create a UDF (myrand) to perform the Rnd() computation. You could use ctrl-alt-F9 to force the random selection to be recalculated. Or you could pass a cell or range reference to the UDF solely for the purpose of recalculating the random selection whenever a value in that cell or range is changed.