Thread: How to paste Word Table Cell along with paragraph markers in Microsoft Excel

How to paste Word Table Cell along with paragraph markers in Microsoft Excel

I have a Microsoft Word document that contains a table, each cell of which may contain paragraph markers. I need to copy and paste this table into Excel. However, whenever a cell from the Word table contains paragraph markers, rather than pasting the contents of the entire cell into a single cell in Excel, the paragraph markers are treated as delimiters, and the data is pasted into multiple Excel cells. If the cell from the table in Word contains one paragraph marker, then when I paste that cell to Excel, it pastes it into two cells. If it contains two paragraph markers, then it pastes into three cells, and so on. I need to be able to paste this Word table into Excel so that the paragraph markers are treated like "alt-Re turn" - that is, a hard return within a single cell in Excel, so each cell from the table in Word gets pasted into one cell in Excel, regardless of how many paragraph markers are contained in each cell. Any ideas.

Re: How to paste Word Table Cell along with paragraph markers in Microsoft Excel

If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or line break characters, then excel will bring them over as separate cells. One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & line breaks to unique characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds. I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file):
    • Select your table.
    • Edit> replace> Special (show More if required)
    • Find what: (paragraph mark under Special button)
    • replace with: $$$$$ (if $$$$$ doesn't appear in the table)
    • replace all

Same thing with Manual Line break (from under Special). Now copy the table into Excel.
    • Edit > Replace
    • Replace what: $$$$$
    • Replace with: hit and hold the alt and type 0010 from the number pad--not above QWERTY.

It may look like you haven't done anything, but if you did it right, you replaced $$$$$ with alt-enter. Replace all. Don't forget to close the word document without saving (or hit undo as many times as necessary).

Re: How to paste Word Table Cell along with paragraph markers in Microsoft Excel

There is a option of insert object in Microsoft Excel. And once you insert that you can simply copy paste the content from Word along with the formatting and add it to the work file. That's all.