Thread: How to keep the formatting as it is after copying content from Word to Excel

How to keep the formatting as it is after copying content from Word to Excel

I have got some text in Word 2003, formatted using Word's standard outline indent formatting. (This is a standard Word format, in which Word formats the text as a series of paragraphs (multi-line text), in hierarchical outline form. Each level is indented slightly from the previous level (for example, Level 1 is at left margin, Level 2 has 1/4 inch indent, Level 3 has 1/2 inch, Level 4 has 3/4 inch, etc.). Each paragraph starts with a bulllet, with a different bullet character for each level.). I would like to copy to Excel 2003 and look approximately the same. When I do this through simple copy-and-paste, Excel puts each paragraph into a cell. Indentation and bullet characters are retained.

However, there is no word wrap - each paragraph is on a single line, extending possibly far to the right. When I then add word-wrap (Format / Cells / Alignment / Word Wrap), Excel retains the bullet characters, but loses the indentation. Everything is left-justified. I have confirmed that word wrap is not inconsistent with cell indent. I can take a word wrapped cell and indent it. So I could achieve the desired format if I manually add the indents for each cell, but that's obviously cumbersome. Is there any easier way. (I.e. Copy text from Word to Excel, retain word wrap, retain indent.)

Re: How to keep the formatting as it is after copying content from Word to Excel

There are two ways of pasting items on an excel spreadsheet. One is to put the data into the cells and another method is putting objects ontop of cells. I have taken section of word documents and placed them as object on top of the cells. I usually pasted them as enhanced Pictures.You can try two things here.
    • When you paste a black box with a clip board icon will appear. try options in this box
    • Use Paste Special (in edit Menu) instead of Paste. Try different options.

Re: How to keep the formatting as it is after copying content from Word to Excel

Basically under my experience with Excel, I had found that when copy paste the content from Microsoft Word to Excel then the formatting is loosed. Somehow it takes tables or list. There are some reference link I found below which you can see and check. There are some solution which might help you.