Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to create folders & sub folders from a Excel list

MS Office Support

Old 15-02-2012

How to create folders & sub folders from a Excel list

I need to create folders with subfolders from a listing that I have in an excel document. Is there a macro that will do that for me instead of having to go to the browser and use Folder > New > Name. There are over a thousand subfolders that I need to create and don't want to do it manually. Thanks in advance to the gurus.

Old 15-02-2012

Re: How to create folders & sub folders from a Excel list

There is a small code that you can try out.
Code:
On Error Resume Next
For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp).Row
MkDir Cells(i,"A").Value
Next i
Old 15-02-2012

Re: How to create folders & sub folders from a Excel list

I have had similar tasks to do, but not this exactly. I didn't use a macro, though. Instead, I made a DOS-style batch file using an extra column. For example, suppose column A holds sub-folders you want to create inside folder c:\whatever\. In B1, put ="MKDIR " & A1 and copy down for as many rows as you need.Select column B and Edit > Copy. Paste into a new Notepad window, and "save as" inside the folder c:\whatever\ with name "temp.bat" (include the quotes). Then open folder c:\whatever\ and double-click on temp.bat. Adapt or expand the example to suit your needs.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Tags: , , ,