Thread: How to calculate filed different in Excel Pivot Table

How to calculate filed different in Excel Pivot Table

My pivot table is summarized by group, then by Actual Headcount and Budget Headcount. So for example, HR is the first category broken down into 10 heads of budget and 9 heads of actual. The Total line sums the Budget and Actual total to show 19. I would like the Total line to show the difference between Budget and Actual. So instead of the sum of 19, I would like the pivot table to calculate the delta (Delta would equal 1: Budget of 10 - Actual of 9). I would like it to do this for each group (HR, Sales, etc.)
    Any thoughts.

Re: How to calculate filed different in Excel Pivot Table

If Budget and Actual are Fields (columns in your source data), then from the PT Toolbar drop down, select Formulas>Calculated Field Set Name to Delta and Formula to =Actual-Budget You will now see an additional set of data for the difference. If Budget and Actual are different items in the same Field (same column) then from the PT drop down choose Formulas > Calculated Item and proceed as above.

Re: How to calculate filed different in Excel Pivot Table

Using the context menu of the PivotTable Calculated Field Formulas ... you open the Insert Calculated Field dialog box (Figure 7.10). Here are the first line assigns a name, and carries in the second - starting with a = - a formula in which you can use field names, constants, and operators. We confirmed with OK, the new field is placed in the data area, also is added to the PivotTable toolbar, the same button. Removal of the calculated field from the pivot table, it is nevertheless maintained in the toolbar so that it can always paste it back into the data area.