Thread: How to lock a cell after making entry in Microsoft Excel

How to lock a cell after making entry in Microsoft Excel

I am creating a test using excel 2003 that will self upgrade and give the tester information to review when they get the answer incorrect. What I would like to do is only give them one chance to answer. I do not want them to be able to change their answer. I would like them to enter their answer in a cell. If they get it incorrect, through data validation, a box will pop up to tell them what they need to do, by going back and studying. When they close the data validation box, I would like the answer to stay incorrect and the cell to lock so that they can not change their answer. Can someone help me with this.

Re: How to lock a cell after making entry in Microsoft Excel

I would suggest you re-think the Data Validation message part. If they get it incorrect, data Validation will pop up a message telling them they have it wrong and "retry" or "cancel". Cancelling will leave the cell blank. You can lock a cell via VBA after any value is entered but I don't know from where you will get a message to pop up when incorrect answer is given. Lookup table and some code maybe.

Re: How to lock a cell after making entry in Microsoft Excel

Well the idea behind the data validation is, when they get it wrong then it tells them what policy to read to get the correct answer. I put Select "ok" to continue that leaves the incorrect answer but I am sure some will go back and change. The main idea is for them to learn the information but I have been requested to see if I can make it unable to change. Any other suggestions? Also, can you put a hyperlink into a data validation error message.