Thread: How to disable the collate option in Micorsoft Excel

How to disable the collate option in Micorsoft Excel

How do I permanently uncheck the "Collate" box in the print window in Excel. I am using XP Pro, Excel 2003 and printing to an HP LaserJet1020. My printer doesn't hang on collate, but it takes a really long time to print with collate on, and it's driving me crazy. I use a lot of templates; can I save this function in the template files. I would rather have my print default to "not collate" but if it's a file-specific thing and I can set all my templates to "non-collate" that's ok, too.

Re: How to disable the collate option in Micorsoft Excel

The collate option is probably set as the default for your printer setup. Go into Printers and Faxes in Control Panel and check the properties of your printer - uncheck the collate option if it is selected and your printer should print without collating unless you tell it otherwise.

I just checked in there, and collate isn't an option in my printer set up. It seems to be program-specific, as when I print web-pages this option is defaulted to off. It is turned on in *all* office applications, however. Maybe I should post this in the general Office category.

I am not aware of a default setting in Excel for this and neither am I aware of a central setting for Office applications, which is what led me to surmise that it would be a setting within your printer driver's software. If your printer is capable of collation (which it obviously is) then I'm very surprised that it doesn't appear as a selectable option somewhere. I don't have access to your particular printer software, but have you checked the various "options" and "advanced" settings in the properties. Is it possible that you're saving this setting in your templates because you're basing each one on a previous one that had the setting? Try setting up a new template and then go to File > Page Setup and Options (if it's available) and make sure all the selections are as you want them before saving the template.

I have re-checked my printer settings and I honestly can't find anywhere that I might turn on or off collate settings. Again, it seems to be an Office-only option, as my browser's default is set to the "un-checked" state. I have also tried unchecking the collate box in one of my templates, printing it, and then saving the file. When I re-open it (even if I don't close the file, but just re-click to print), the collate check box is back on. Very frustrating little feature today. I am thinking that there's no way to "fix" this problem, so I'll just have to be more patient about my prints. Thanks for your help anyhow.