Thread: My Text are overlapping with other columns in Excel

My Text are overlapping with other columns in Excel

When you write text into an Excel cell, it will overlap into the next columns if there is too much text for the cell. If you make an entry into the next cell to the right then you can only see the text that can fit into the cell on the left. Is there any way that I can prevent this overlapping without having to enter anything in the cell on the right.

Re: My Text are overlapping with other columns in Excel

If you want the text to wrap, select Wrap Text from the Alignment tab of Format/Cells. In that case, I would suggest you are stuck with overlap or entering a <space> in each adjacent cell. What is it about wrapping that you don't care for.

I might be over-simplifying here, but if I read your post correctly.
    1). You can make your column wider. Anticipating how wide you think it would need to be to handle any text.
    2). You could also merge some columns to provide a wider cell.

I personally hate getting an Excel sheet (company forms, etc, like expense forms) that don't use merged columns! Man, it's a pain in the butt to enter all your data! Hmmm. That gives me an idea, too. I need to go look myself to see if there's an "AutoFit" function that will re-size the cell width as needed. Plus, I'll bet we could write a little VB code that would do the same thing.

I have some long text entries and some narrow columns. If they overlap other columns it will look untidy and it will be more difficult to see where the entries are in the grid. If people want to see what the full entry is, I want them to just click on the cell and see the full entry in the toolbar. Of course, I could put a space in the cell to the right but that is a bit messy. I just wondered if there was a better way.

Easy solution - make the column wider. Double-Click between the two column letters at the top of your screen and this will ensure that the width of the column matches the longest entry in your column.