Thread: How to round-off nearest currently values in Microsoft Excel

How to round-off nearest currently values in Microsoft Excel

I am having trouble getting either a product or sum to round to the nearest cent. How do I do this. Example 6015.54x1.4=8421.76, However when I do this in excel, it ends up being 8421.75 for some reason. Or if I choose to add 6015.54 and 2406.22 (the latter a result of multiplying the former by . It still gives me 8421.75...the actual calculation works out to 8421.756, so obviously it is just dropping the last number (or rounding it down to the nearest fifth one hundredth?). I would prefer seeing as how I am working with currency that it rounded the final number appropriately.

Re: How to round-off nearest currently values in Microsoft Excel

Unless you have the option "Precision as displayed" selected, XL calculates based on the stored values in the cells, not the displayed values. If your multiplicand or multiplier are calculated, they're probably not exactly 6015.54 or 1.4. You can expand the number of decimal places to find out. Working with currency should always be done with care to round appropriately at each stage. As long as you're using floating point math, there's no general way to prevent rounding errors at the end of a string of calculations.

Unfortunately it would appear I need the precision as displayed to be an option for individual cells thanks for the clarification at any rate.

On the Format menu, click Cells, and then the Number tab. In the Category list, click Currency, Accounting, Percentage, or Scientific. In the Decimal places box, enter the number of decimal places to display. To change the currency symbol, click on the symbol you want to use from the Symbol.

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Excel Options. Click on Advanced, then during the calculation of the workbook, select the check box Set Precision as displayed and click OK. In the worksheet, select the cells you want to format. In the Home tab, click the button to display the dialog box next to Number. In the Category box, click Number. In the Decimal places box, enter the number of decimal places you want to view.