Thread: Modify Backup Copy path of Microsoft Excel

Modify Backup Copy path of Microsoft Excel

When checking the setting in the Save As Options "always create backup", By default excel saves the backup copy to the same path as the original file. Can this backup file be saved to another path. If so, where can I make this change? File > Save AS > Tools > General Options > Always create backup.

Re: Modify Backup Copy path of Microsoft Excel

Not as far as I know. Backups are saved in the Excel default file location. You could create a macro that will save the file at the default location and a copy to the folder of your choice. The macro could be run manually or in before save code in ThisWorkbook.
    Code:
    Sub BUandSave2()
    'Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
    'Saves the current file to a backup folder and the default folder
    'Note that any backup is overwritten
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs FileName:="E:\GordStuff\Backup\" & _
    ActiveWorkbook.Name
    ActiveWorkbook.Save
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    End Sub

This macro should do what you want and it puts the backup in the same directory.
    Code:
      Public Sub CommandButton1_Click () 'workbook copy protection
     Sun name As String
         name = Day (Date) & "-" & Month (Date) & "-" & Year (Date) & "_" & ActiveWorkbook.Name
         ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\" & Name
         rep = MsgBox ("Your database is saved under the name:" & name, vbYes + vbInformation, "Backup Copy folder")
     End Sub
    To integrate you open VBA (Alt + F11) and the Project window (ctrl + R) then your question sheet and you glue the macro. Then you pressed on your sheet, you do a right click on the menu bar in free space, form and you choose the icon button. With small cross thou draw a button where you want and you put the label wanted then with right click you choose and you assign a macro valid your macro that appears. The function is used.

I am a new to VBA and am trying to automate a dashboard that contains data from a database that it even exists on a separate sheet of the same workbook that contains the dashboard. On the database I have the following variables: number, name, pole, months of training, amount of training, hotel, meals, airfare, logistics costs. The panel contains the months of training, the pole and consumption monthly knowing that to consumption = amount of training + hotel + meals + airfare + logistics costs. I how to automate this panel.

I added the date and time in the macro, redirected to a backup directory "old" nickel and it works except for the time: it is 11:06, for example, the filename will be 25-10 - 2007_116_ [filename]. How to add the '0 'scores in this case. Name = Day (Date) & "-" & Month (Date) & "-" & Year (Date) & "_" & Hour (Time) & Minute (Time) & Second (Time) & "_" & ActiveWorkbook. Name. Another question without abusing your patience: I would reverse the filename to get something of the form [xxxxxx_xxxx_extension_xls] _ [date] _ [time] _ [. Xls]. And if I put ActiveWorkbook.Name first, I directly attached xls extension which gives [xxxxx_xxxx_extension_xls] _date_xxx.

Here is a short vba code which will help you. Try running the same and then check back.
    Code:
    Function to test whether the backup folder exists 
     Function backup folder (ByVal FolderName As String) As Boolean 
     If (Dir (FolderName, vbDirectory) <> "") Then 
     Backup folder = True 
     Else 
     Backup folder = False 
     End If 
     End Function 

'Create backup folder may not be available 
     Sub auto_open () 
     Not if backup folder (ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\ backup \") Then 
     MkDir ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\ backup \" 
     End If 
     End Sub 

'Automatic backup in a Unterverzeichis "\ backup \" 
     Sub Backup () 
     Dim WshShell 

'Note on backup 
     Set WshShell = CreateObject ("WScript.Shell") 
     WSHShell.Popup "... please wait", 1, "Auto Backup ..." 

'Save a copy of the workbook 
     ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\ backup \ backup_" & Date & ". Xls" 

'Timer 
     WSHShell.Popup "Backup finished", 1, "Auto Backup ..." 
     Application.OnTime Now + TimeSerial (0, 5, 0), "Backup", False 
     End Sub

Yes I would also prefer the auto-recovery - why create so much garbage - but no matter. I suspect that it does not work because you have the code in a worksheet. Since the procedure "backup" will not be found. If that's the case, then pack the code in a normal module. Incidentally, you should disable ontime statements if they were not running when the file is closed.