Thread: How to stop Open file as Read only in Microsoft Excel

How to stop Open file as Read only in Microsoft Excel

I have an Excel file that was created using Excel 2003. The person who created the file set protection so that every time the file is opened, a window appears with the following message: "'filename' should be opened as read-only unless you need to save changes to it. Open as read-only?" I am using Excel 2007 and want to remove this prompt, but when I go to the Help function for instructions on how to do it, it provides names of menu/ribbon options that don't exist (see below):
    • On the Review tab, click Protect Document.
    • Select Restrict Formatting and Editing.
    • In Formatting restrictions, Editing restrictions and Start enforcement, you can make selections that meet your formatting and editing needs.

Re: How to stop Open file as Read only in Microsoft Excel

You can use SaveAs (overwriting the existing name). But when you show the SaveAs dialog, click on Tools > General options. Uncheck that "read only recommended" box. Or else try the following Click the office button > Save As > Excel Workbook > Tools > General Options. Uncheck "read only recommended > Save.

Re: How to stop Open file as Read only in Microsoft Excel

This can be done via cmd. Open the cmd and then you have to navigate to the Excel directory. Then type attrib-r *.*. If you also want to treat all files in directories below; attrib-r *.*. Or else you can also modify the file attributes in the operating system via rightclicking on it. But this you have to do for every file. Or else go int he Tools Menu and check there is a option which prevents opening other applications. Test if ticking that option (Ignore other applications) is solved your problem, but which version you have excel.