Thread: What is the formula for Excel to add days excluding holidays

What is the formula for Excel to add days excluding holidays

Ok I have done some searching on this forum and others but can't seem to find the answer i am looking for so hopefully somebody can help me. I am trying to setup a sheet that will produce production dates for me. My problem is that we do not work on the weekends or holidays. I have one formula that calculates the number of days a process takes to complete and I link that to the date the previous process ended. For example if the last process ended on a Thursday and the next process takes 3 days I want the formula to skip over the Saturday and Sunday when it calculates what day the process will finish. I have tried to use the NETWORKDAYS function but I can't seem to get that to work. Any help is greatly appreciated as I seem to be fairly brain dead today and cant figure it out myself. Thanks a lot!!

Re: What is the formula for Excel to add days excluding holidays

Use the WORKDAY function instead:
    • A B C
    • 1 Task Duration Completed
    • 2 First Task 4 01/06/06
    • 3 Task 2 6 =WORKDAY(C2,B3,HOLIDAYS)

Re: What is the formula for Excel to add days excluding holidays

Just put all your holidays in a range and include it in the formula:NETWORKDAYS | Show All | Hide All. This returns the number of whole working days between start_date and end_date. Working days exclude weekends and any dates identified in holidays. Use NETWORKDAYS to calculate employee benefits that accrue based on the number of days worked during a specific term.

NETWORKDAYS(start_date,end_date,holidays) : Important Dates should be entered by using the DATE function, or as results of other formulas or functions. For example, use DATE(2008,5,23) for the 23rd day of May, 2008. Problems can occur if dates are entered as text. Start_date is a date that represents the start date. | End_date is a date that represents the end date.

Holidays is an optional range of one or more dates to exclude from the working calendar, such as state and federal holidays and floating holidays. The list can be either a range of cells that contains the dates or an array constant (array: Used to build single formulas that produce multiple results or that operate on a group of arguments thatare arranged in rows and columns. An array range shares a common formula; an array constant is a group of constants used as an argument.) of the serial numbers that represent the dates.

Date Description
    Code:
    10/01/2008 Start date of project
    3/01/2009 End date of project
    11/26/2008 Holiday
    12/4/2008 Holiday
    1/21/2009 Holiday
    Formula Description (Result)
    =NETWORKDAYS(A2,A3) Number of workdays between the start and end date
    above (108)
    =NETWORKDAYS(A2,A3,A4) Number of workdays between the start and end
    date above, excluding the first holiday (107)
    =NETWORKDAYS(A2,A3,A4:A6) Number of workdays between the start and end
    date above, excluding every holiday above (105)