Thread: How to enable undo/redo in Microsoft Excel after saving a file

How to enable undo/redo in Microsoft Excel after saving a file

Excel does not allow to Undo/Redo previous actions after the file has been saved. In other words, if the user has made changes to the file, but wants to keep the previous version and forgets to rename the file and clicks the save button, the user cannot utilize the Undo/Redo options to go back and correct this. On the other hand, Word does allow this. Why doesn't Excel?

Re: How to enable undo/redo in Microsoft Excel after saving a file

First of all, Word will not save undo information in the file, nor will any program I know of (Microsoft or not). I believe this would lead to bigger file sizes, and some of them are large enough now. If the feature you mention about Word is "Track changes" it IS available in Excel (at least in 2003). To take a look at it follow these instructions:
    • On the Tools menu, click Share Workbook, and then click the Editing tab.
    • Select the Allow changes by more than one user at the same time check box.
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Under Track changes, click Keep change history for, and in the Days box, type the number of days of change history (change history: In a shared workbook, information that is maintained about changes made in past editing sessions. The information includes the name of the person who made each change, when the change was made, and what data was changed.) that you want to keep. Be sure to enter a large-enough number of days because Microsoft Excel permanently erases any change history older than this number of days.
    • Click OK, and if prompted to save the file, click OK.

Note Turning on change tracking also shares (shared workbook: A workbook set up to allow multiple users on a network to view and make changes at the same time. Each user who saves the workbook sees the changes made by other users.) the workbook. I hope that helps; if it does, please rate my post.

Re: How to enable undo/redo in Microsoft Excel after saving a file

Sorry if I was not clear. Undo/Redo does work in Word if the file is saved but not closed. Ofcourse, after it is closed I don't think any program is capable of redoing/undoing actions when it is opened again. Again, Excel does not do this. That is true and a similar feature like Word's Undo is something many of us have been asking for, maybe next version.

Undo, redo, or repeat an action