Thread: Getting error "Your entry cannot be used. An integer or decimal number may be req" in Excel

Getting error "Your entry cannot be used. An integer or decimal number may be req" in Excel

I have been trying to format cells and when I do, this message pops up: "Your entry cannot be used. An integer or decimal number may be required." I am also having problems with formulas I already had in place. Anytime I try to change anything in a spread sheet this message pops up. It pops up in a new spreadsheet or one I already have in place. Any ideas.

Re: Getting error "Your entry cannot be used. An integer or decimal number may be req" in Excel

It sounds like there is a Data Validation constraint on the cell(s). Select the cell, choose Validation from the Data menu, and see what values are allowed You can either conform your entry to the constraint or you can remove the validation constraint by choosing Any in the Allow list in the Validation dialog.

Re: Getting error "Your entry cannot be used. An integer or decimal number may be req" in Excel

Thanks for the help but it didn't do any good, "ANY" was already chosen in the allow list. When I right click on a highlighted cell(s) and click on format, the format box pops up. If I try to click on any of the tabs they cannot be used message comes up. I have removed and reinstalled Office 2007 with no changes. If I start a new spread sheet and try to put boarders around my cells, the program will not let me having the above message pop up. Basically I cannot use Excel right now. Any other ideas?