Thread: How to fix Microsoft Excel error messages "Compile error in hidden module"

How to fix Microsoft Excel error messages "Compile error in hidden module"

Whenever entering Exec, I get the error message: Microsoft Visual Basic: Compile error in hidden module: AutoExecNew. on exit, the error message reads: Microsoft Visual Basic: Compile error in hidden module. Try a little testing before next release. I am running Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1.

Re: How to fix Microsoft Excel error messages "Compile error in hidden module"

Try a little more research the time, MS can be blamed for many things but hardly for badly written 3rd party add-ins. I have this same error after installing Adobe CS Suite. Interestingly, it does not occur under my user name. Any other user does have the error AutoExec in Word and AutoExecNew in Excel (Office 2003) I found the DFMaker.dot and renamed it PDFMaker.old. This cured the error in Word and Outlook; however, renaming PDFMaker.xla to PDFMaker.old does nothing to stop the error in Excel. I have tried looking for PDFwriter.xla - but there is no file by that name on my computer. I also get the DisMon error on closing Excel.

I have exactly the same thing - except I did find the "pdf.....xla". I moved it to My Documents as suggested in the KB and searched for it any where else. I still get the "AutoExecNew" and "DisMon" on start and quit. I am using Excel 2000. It seems to be a MS problem. I have never had any Symantec on this machine. And, there is no Adobe now after a re-install. There was at one time and the Office files may not have been re-written when I reinstalled Office 2000. But, both the Word and Excel startup files are empty.

I have also had the same problems, I have followed all the advise that you wonderful people have suggested, visited all the web sites and links suggested, Adobe & Symantec sites included and still have the same problem in excel, however it did solve the word problem. But it would be great to solve this excel problem as it is driving me crazy not been able to resolve this problem. I am sure there is someone out there who can put me out of my misery.

First exit Microsoft Excel and then click on Start > Search. Look for pdf*.xla file and then Move it or delete it from that XLStart folder. If that doesn't work. Then again close excel and run DOS or CMD. Type cd\ to enter the root directory and type dir pdf*.xla /s. The /s means to search through sub directories. Make a note of where the file is and move it or delete it. It is possible the Windows search might not find the file. You can use DOS for the same.
    You receive a "Compile error in hidden module" error message when you start Word or Excel