Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

To setup a hyperlink to external pdf file page only in Microsoft Excel

MS Office Support

Old 21-01-2012

To setup a hyperlink to external pdf file page only in Microsoft Excel

I created a 100-page PDf file from scanned pages . Now I would like to create a hyperlink in excel to jump to specific page in this document . I tried the simulate this when working with Word when creating a bookmark and using the hyperlink function which refers to the bookmark. Can anybody help ?

Old 21-01-2012

Re: To setup a hyperlink to external pdf file page only in Microsoft Excel

Forget hyperlinking A mate and I solved this exact problem using a bit of VB (about which I personally know nothing):
1. Enter the file name as a url (?) in the cell you want to hyperlink from, followed by the page reference in this format : file:\\\[filepath]#page=[page number]. eg: "file:\\\c:\documents\test.pdf#page=2"
2. Create a macro and edit it by stepping into it:
Code:
Sub pdfpglink()
Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate
Shell ("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe " + ActiveCell.Value)
End Sub
3. Close the VB editor and assign the macro a shortcut key, eg, ctrl-z Activate the link by selecting the cell and then pressing the shortcut key. This works on my Vista 32bit and 64bit machines, running office 07, but note that on 64bit vista i could only get it working using 32bit iexplore, so your file path is .../program files (x86)/ ... Don't know why, that's just part of the joy of 64bit vista. My mate reckons we can take a similar approach using the adobe reader .exe using the shell command [full path of acrobat reader exectuable] " /a page=[page#] [full path of .pdf file] but I am yet to get that working. Now the only thing I need to do it to fine tune it so that iexplorer opens the .pdf in a larger window.
Old 21-01-2012

Re: To setup a hyperlink to external pdf file page only in Microsoft Excel

You can try the following. When you adding the pdf reference link in Excel sheet then try to add the #page=[page number] at the end of the link. So when you click it, it will take you that page only. Or else there is a code which can help you. Try the below vbcode.
Code:
Sub OpenPDFpage()
    Dim myLink As String
    Dim TargetPage As Double
    Dim objIE As New xxxbrowsernamexxx
    myLink = "locationoffile/nameofile.extension" 
    TargetPage = anypagenumber
    With objIE
        .Navigate myLink & "#page=" & TargetPage
        .Visible = True
    End With
End Sub

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Tags: , , , ,