Thread: Null value on using Hyperion Essbase Excel Add-in

Null value on using Hyperion Essbase Excel Add-in

Another Essbase Excel Add-in question. When I retrieve values into Excel from our Essbase Cube (using Hyperon Excel Add-In), null values return as text characters. Even if I format the cells, these values appear as "0". The only way I can change the text to numbers is through a VBA procedure that changes "0" to value 0 for all cells in the used range. Can anything be done (either on user end or Admin side) to get null to return as number 0 without having to use VBA?

Re: Null value on using Hyperion Essbase Excel Add-in

In Essbase | Options | Display, use '=0' (without quotes) to replace #MISSING. When you retrieve, 0 will be numeric. Or else refer to the following doc below which will guide you in detail for the entire process.

Hyperion Essbase Spreadsheet Add-in for Excel

Unless things have changed with their latest version, VBA is the only practical solution. Well ... at least I picked the right solution. Thanks for the confirmation. Seems unusual that there isn't some function on the cube side like T-sql convert() or cast() that could be applied to all data retrievals.

Which versions of Essbase/Excel does that work for. After changing the #Missing Label to: =0. I get =0 as text in the cells, instead of the expected numeric zero. That occurs regardless of the numeric format of the impacted cells. Try using "(0)" instead of "0". Excel and the Add-In should interpret it as a true zero.

Oracle Hyperion Essbase (E Spreadsheet Xtended Data Base) is an engine of multidimensional database type MOLAP. Essbase is very appreciated by the financial departments, branches of management control and reporting, particularly in the context of simulation exercises (budget, planning, forecast). The power of Essbase also lies in its opening through a multitude of APIs, tools of analysis or embedded solutions developed by many publishers.