Thread: How to Move Excel templates from XP to Windows 7

How to Move Excel templates from XP to Windows 7

I've moved Excel from an XP to a Windows 7 computers. On XP, I have a template which contains my desired toolbars, macros and macro buttons. It’s hidden so that when I fire up Excel, the opening worksheet looks right and holds all the desired features. I'm not sure of the procedure for installing the template in Windows 7 file structure. Specifically, do I label the template as Personal.XLT? Then, where do I put the copies? I recall there were both template folder and an XLStart folder in my XP. So I am confused about this, if anyone can help me out then it will be appreciated.

Re: How to Move Excel templates from XP to Windows 7

Were these personally designed macro buttons placed on a Toolbar or just on the worksheet? If on a Toolbar, you either attach that Toolbar to the workbook or create the Toobar "on the fly" when the personal.xls is opened. Otherwise you will need to copy your old Excel11.xlb to the new OS, I don't use Windows 7 but I am sure it stores your personal.xls in the same place like before. Record a macro and see where personal.xls winds up. When you know that, replace the newly-built file with your old personal.xls.