Thread: How to find Hidden Text Box in Microsoft Excel

How to find Hidden Text Box in Microsoft Excel

As part of my job, I am required to perform spell checks on worksheet pages of excel files (financial statements). These worksheet pages contain many text boxes. From time-to-time I run across a situation where spellcheck will find a misspelled word that does not exist in any of the text boxes that are visible on that worksheet, but may have been visible at one time. I think the problem is that the accountant that created the excel file wanted to delete certain text boxes and thought that he had done so, but never really did delete them. Instead, he deleted the rows contained the text box, which basically collapsed the text box. Now, I CANNOT find these text boxes! I sometimes mistakenly find these collapsed text boxes by hovering over them with my cursor, which detects them by changing shape. Unfortunately, all text boxes in these excel files have been formatted to have NO FILL and NO LINE, which makes them impossible to find (invisible)! Please help me figure out how to find text boxes that have been collapsed or made so small that they are the size of a pinpoint. So if toy have any of the suggestion for this then please let me know.

Re: How to find Hidden Text Box in Microsoft Excel

If you press F5, then click special and the select objects and click OK all text boxes should be selected and even those that were hidden will have its borders displayed with some dot pattern and then you can grab the round handles and make them larger. Once you have decided which ones are obsolete you can delete them

Re: How to find Hidden Text Box in Microsoft Excel

To unhide the rows or columns you need to press the top lift-hand cell to select all cells then click on the row header column and select "unhide", and do a similar thing to the columns. This will of course muck up the formatting of the spreadsheet for these rows or columns, but if you know which rows (or columns) were hidden you can hide them again. If the rows containing the textbox were deleted then, from my observation, the textbox was also deleted, and the spelling checker couldn't find the spelling errors it had contained.