Thread: inconsistent line spacing in Word 2007

inconsistent line spacing in Word 2007

I have 2 documents I am editing in Word 2007. Both are set to the same line spacing settings and same font size and style. Both are double-spaced and in the line spacing box, they are set to 0 pt before and 0 pt after. However, the space between the lines is not the same in the 2 documents. I get 18 lines per page on one and 25 lines per page on the other. Top and bottom margins are the same. Any ideas?

Re: inconsistent line spacing in Word 2007

Just press ctrl + a or to avoid much errors, drag and select the lines altogether. Click on the line spacing icon from the ribbon and click on Line Spacing options. Then go below spacing and set the value to 0 for :
    Spacing:
    Before : 0 pt
    After : 0pt
    Line spacing : Single : 0.5
    Set the following values and then check back. If you select all lines then there will equal spaces and space between the lines.

I have done this for both documents, so they should therefore have similar spacing between lines but they do not. I think there must be something hidden in one of the documents so that Word thinks it is actually 2.5 spacing instead of double. The line spacing in that document is visibly greater than in any other double-spaced document (hence, fewer lines per page than in a normal double-spaced document).

Have you tried to to fix this problem by clicking on the "line spacing" button to change the "Remove space before paragraph" option. This will stop Word from messing up your document, should you NOT want to double-space everything. Just check the "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style and the default button, if you want to make this your default, and then click ok.

Yes, I had tried that. It is the line spacing within paragraphs that is wider than double space, even though I have set it at double space and set the before/after settings to 0 pt. Who knows? It's a document from Japan--maybe Microsoft just has different defaults for double space on the other side of the world.

I had faced this issue once when I received a document in email. The line spacing was not agree to set on my settings. Those were english characters, so I copied them all and pasted in notepad. Later on I started a new word document and pasted the content in that file and saved. Luckily it worked. There are some default settings, which word does not allows to change made by the author.

Thanks. That worked to fix the line spacing, but it completely eliminated all the formatting and italic font. However, it did allow me to calculate how many pages it would be if properly double-spaced, which is what I really needed to know.