Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Opening of Excel Files through a Network

Slow Opening of Excel Files through a Network

Recently we having issues with opening Excel files that are located on our file / domain server (windows server 2003). All the files are slow but some are worse than others to the extent that it says the program is not responding but it will eventually open (sometimes as long as 5 minutes). If we open the file through excel and open using the open and repair option they open immediately. Most items are being opened on a terminal server (also with Windows Server 2003) but we also run into the issue if we try to open the same file through a local computer.

Does anyone have any ideas. We have tried adjusting the File Type to list the "%1" but it won't hold the removal of the Use DDE.

I also saw a post about an ACT8 Registry change and ours is already at the recommendation.

Re: Slow Opening of Excel Files through a Network

This appeared in my home network yesterday, after installing the latest batch of updates on my wife's W7 laptop. She accesses excel files on my old XP clunker. Her network link is wifi, and the whole time she waits for the file to load the wifi activity LED is flashing, so it seems to point to a verrrry slow transfer speed. The same thing in the other direction, although I don't think there were any updates for my XP machine. Both computers are running Office 2003.

Thanks for the "open and repair" tip - that works here, too.

I am sure this problem is a result of one of the updates I installed. If it affects enough people, hopefully MS will push out a fix pretty soon.
    Last edited by george w; 02-07-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Hi Dee MN,

You can try to disable the Automatic Search for Network Printers and Folders and check if it has sorted out the problem by following the steps below:

1.Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and click Folder Options to open the Folder Options dialog box.

2.Click the View tab.

3.In the Advanced Settings list, click to clear the Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers check box.

4.Click OK.

Hello

uninstall KB2502786 and kb2541025 and test...
    i have the same prob and i solved with this "technique" :-)

kep me informed
    thanks

Slow Opening of Excel Files through a Network

Hi

We had the same problem last couple of days. Users trying to access Excel 2003 accross the network found it unusable with constant network hangs.

We found just removing (KB2541025) resolved the problem.

Sorry i stand corrected the problem raised it's ugly head again today & i removed (KB2502786) as well & now all is ok so you do need to remove both

Thanks everyone for your help. The culprit seemed to be the 2 patches. We are still pending a reboot on the server but it worked on local machines once both of the patches were removed.

This worked like a charm for us. Although it might ask for the Office CD to remove one of the patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Hello

uninstall KB2502786 and kb2541025 and test...
    i have the same prob and i solved with this "technique" :-)

kep me informed
    thanks
    That worked like a charm! Thank you very much. I went from having a user at a remote job site say it was taking hours to open a spreadsheet over the vpn to it opening in under 5 seconds after removing both KBs. This worked so well that I actually just made this account just to say thank you and offer a couple tips.

A couple notes that might save people some time.

1. 1) Both KBs were located under Office 2003 update list and say EXCEL at the end.
    2. 2) KB2502786 didn't seem to show up until after KB2541025 was removed.

I think I noticed that one of the patches didn't show up until the other one was deleted. But at the time I just thought I over looked it..

Thank you very much all.
    This worked so well that I actually just made this account just to say thank you like Cid X.

Have a nice day without Microsoft update problems...

We had the same issue. According to Microsoft:
    o http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623
    There are 3 things you can do, upgrade from Office 2003 as this is the only affected product, store files locally, or apply a HKCU reg fix.

In order to deploy this globally we copied the following admin settings into notepad, saved as an .adm & imported the template into Group policy.

I signed up purely to say thank you Tranquille for the information about removing both of these patches. This really fixed it my problem, instantly. Just worked perfectly.

Thanks so much.

I also registered here just to say thanks for the info. I spent about 5 hours troublshooting this for a client. I can't believe they don't automatically apply the fix to 2003 users. My client had a 25MB Excel spreadsheet that was taking about 15 minutes to open. Does anyone sell one of those stress dolls in the shape of an MS programmer? :)

Our office has almost come to a halt in the last few days because of this problem. Not one of us is a "techie" and we have been in turmoil. I carried out your suggested solution. The problem has disappeared immediately. We are now literally "jumping for joy" in the office. Grateful Thanks from Grateful Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Corinne411 View Post
    We had the same issue. According to Microsoft:
    o http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623
    There are 3 things you can do, upgrade from Office 2003 as this is the only affected product, store files locally, or apply a HKCU reg fix.

In order to deploy this globally we copied the following admin settings into notepad, saved as an .adm & imported the template into Group policy.
    Is this link for the same issue? Although similar, the MS article you have linked is talking about a different KB number to the ones that are being discussed here.

Can anyone confirm if the above MS resolution worked for them without manually removing the 2 KB patches?

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast