Thread: SharePoint 2010 Top 10 New Features

SharePoint 2010 Top 10 New Features

I have purchased a new desktop computer system at my home on which I would be installing the latest version of the Microsoft Office 2010. Main application I would be using from the office 2010 is the SharePoint. Now the thing is that I have never worked on the Office 2010 so I am bit afraid that the SharePoint 2010 doesn't surprise me negatively. So can you guys tell me what are the new features provided in the ShrePoint 2010. I guess at least it there more then 10 changes in this new version so better you mention only Top 10 features.

Re: SharePoint 2010 Top 10 New Features

1. Social networking, tagging, expertise, support for Silverlight, Web ... Launched today, SharePoint 2010 gives pride to the 2.0 collaborative and rich interfaces. Its main innovations.

2. Among the great innovations of the workspace SharePoint 2010, we retain the ability to work offline, full interoperability with Office Web Apps and targeting rules by mailing lists. The solution also offers the possibility to implement new functional modules via the open source community Codeplex.com "SharePoint 2010 is like a Swiss Army knife application that allows for the collaborative, the GOL's decision-making and social networks" Announces Karim Manar, product manager at Microsoft SharePoint.

3. "The social network feature to create its own web page like Facebook or MySpace in that it is possible to define their skills, share my documents, tag information or reference colleagues, " said Karim Manar. SharePoint 2010 also offers a function to update the status and activity monitoring to track such progress in the achievement of a task or project. In the social network, it is also possible to highlight certain keywords in their profile to begin discussions with other employees.

4. There are two types of tagging in SharePoint 2010, namely social tagging to add metadata to content, tagging and expertise to promote connections between people. "Social tagging functionality for example, allows subscribers to my profile people to receive information on content previously tagged. So it is simply to share favorite links throughout the day but useful Web, "says Karim Manar . Moreover, the solution takes the concept of wall from Facebook to promote the frequency and speed of transactions.

5. Appeared in SharePoint 2007 as a model of Windows SharePoint Services site, wikis are now extended their use to all sites projects or teams. The course director reserves the right to limit editing of wiki sites to a greater or lesser scope of sites. Besides the possibility to subscribe to news of a wiki and share content among its users, editing of blog has also been refreshed. Among the new features, there is sorting by category and dates, a new text editor and centralized management of group blogs.

6. "SharePoint 2010 supports structured and unstructured content and makes it easy to create intranets, extranets and the Internet and insert native streaming videos, " indicated Karim Manar, product manager for SharePoint. Now organized as a collection of Web pages, the website created through SharePoint allows any person authorized to make changes on the fly via the functionality of the ribbon interface. To facilitate the implementation of international locations, the interface of the solution manages the multilingual (English, French, Spanish ...).

7. Taking into account the changing needs of remote access to business information, Microsoft offers a complete interface of SharePoint 2010 with Office Web Apps. Thus, it is possible to feed content from SharePoint Web applications Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. Note that a hosted version of SharePoint monthly rental model is available for 12 euros per user against 60 euros for the standard version internalized and 140 euros for the enterprise version also includes Performance Point, the search engine Fast and Business Connectivity Suite.

8. "SharePoint 2010 is a platform for managing information flow supports an even larger number of content from business applications, CRM and ERP business but also XML content, " said Karim Manar. Microsoft has revived update its Business Data Catalog (BDC), now called Business Connectivity Services (BCS). Beyond the new name, BCS supports Web services in REST format and the WSRP (Web Services for Remote Portlets).

9. SharePoint 2010 offers a feature borrowed from the world of Business Process Management, ie the graphical schematic and run a stream of information. Visio Services allows to give an overall picture of the implementation plan, specifying at which stage the workflow is located. Visio files Services, SharePoint treated in the same way as other applications such as Word, Excel or PowerPoint, will also be indexed in the search of the solution.

10. For developers, Web Parts are blocks of data to view information or business processes. If previous versions of SharePoint only allowed to add Web Parts to Web Part zones, it is now possible to control the placement of these components anywhere on the page. As such, the Web development tools have been extended to Visual Web Parts manager ASCX User Control (ASP.NET).

If as a computer professional you are running SharePoint to your organization, know that you can deploy SharePoint Designer 2010 by being sure you can easily control how and where the staff of your organization can use SharePoint Designer. In addition, the new experience of modified page in SharePoint Designer 2010 means that by default page customization is neither possible nor necessary to compose pages and powerful dashboards.

Microsoft has made great efforts to facilitate collaboration, information sharing and publishing content to the user. Several improvements have made summers in SharePoint sites as:
    • The new interface for editing pages which includes the tape
    • Improved support for different types of browsers
    • Easy to work with documents in offline mode (offline) with SharePoint Workspace
    • The new multi language interface (MUI)
    • Office Web application that allows you to view Office documents without having a client on their workstation
    • A new simpler interface to manage site settings

Several changes were made to the level of personal sites (Mysite), Blogs and Wikis to enable users to share and find information more easily released by their colleagues. Those who make the content management with SharePoint will be happy to learn that this new version of SharePoint includes several tools to better manage content as well as the life cycle of documents such as:
    • With SharePoint 2010 is planned to allow the registration of:
      1. 1 million items in a folder
      2. Tens of millions of items in a document library
      3. Hundreds of millions of items in an archive

Here are some of the features that I have noticed as a change in the new version of the ShrePoint 2010. Take a look at it.
    1. Metadata managed (managed metadata) to build a taxonomy that can be shared through the farm and other farms.
    2. Tagging system for associated metadata to content
    3. Navigation based on metadata
    4. Content rating (content rating), will allow users to identify the documents they find more useful than other
    5. Clusters of documents (document sets) to manage a group of documents as a single entity. All documents of the group can share the same metadata, workflow and version control.
    6. Advanced routing (Advanced Routing) will allow users to save a document and SharePoint will take care of the place in the best location (based on the routing configuration). It's like the registration center we had in 2007.

Several improvements are made to levels of research. New services will be available as PerformancePoint Services, Visio Services, Access Services, Business Connectivity Services (formerly BCS BDC) and the publication of charts via the chart WebParts.