Thread: Setup controller has encountered a problem during install...

Setup controller has encountered a problem during install...

Hi all. I have seen this addressed before online, but I still don't have a workable solution.

I have an HP laptop using Windows 7 which came with Microsoft Home and Student 2007 trial version. I used the trial and it expired.
    For Christmas, My hubby got me Microsoft Home and Student 2010. I can work on in Excel, but when I try to save it I am getting the dreaded error message,
    "the setup controller has encountered a problem during install. Please check log files for further nformation on the error."

I tried to unstall the trial version of Home and Student 2007, thinking that could be the problem, but it would not uninstall.
    I used the MS Fixit program, and it did uninstall.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled MS Home and Student 2010 3 times, and the problem persists.
    I noticed on the right side of the task bar, when I click the up arrow, then to customize, it shows
    MS Office Client Virtualization Handler, MS Office Click to run download in progress. It seems to be stuck somehow.

Any advice?

Re: Setup controller has encountered a problem during install...

Well looking at the case of yours it seems that you will have to get rid of the things manually. I would like you to move the Office Setup Controller from the following location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12 to some other location to be precised on the DESKTOP. After this you will be required to make a reboot and then see if you can get rid of the issue there.

Re: Setup controller has encountered a problem during install...

I can only find C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11. Should I do like you said with this file instead?
    Thanks, Debbie