Thread: Cannot open Word or Excel docs from SharePoint 2007 Server

Cannot open Word or Excel docs from SharePoint 2007 Server

Is there anybody who is facing any problem while opening the SharePoint docs with the Office 2010 Beta? Actually I am not able to open word or excel documents from my SharePoint 2007 site. There is no error code which can indicate about the problem. I am just getting that "Could Not Open 'http://document path/file.doc". Does anybody has any idea about this error? Or is it some kind of compatibility issue of the Beta version with older versions of SharePoint?

Re: Cannot open Word or Excel docs from SharePoint 2007 Server

Just like you, this error is not indicating me where could be the problem but I guess there is one more way by which you can try to open the files. First of all save all of those office documents at the local space which you want to open on your Sharepoint 2007 server and then check that is it giving you any problem or not. If it shows any then please post about the same here.

It might not be the compatibility issue either with the SharePoint 2007 Server or with the Office documents. I think it could be the issue generated due to the browser where you must be having such settings to restrict for opening such documents. I suggest you to check in the browser's where you might find out something helpful. Make sure that you remember the settings that you change as it might create some more problems also which can be then easily resolved by making it as it was earlier.

I have seen the same issue which you are facing while opening the word documents from the SharePoint 2007 Server. This error I was getting when I was trying to open it from Internet Explorer 8. But then I have found the solution for the same. Actually you just need to make some changes in the settings of IE8. Go to Menu and then click on an Internet Options. Here you must be having Connections, just click on the LAN Settings where you have to uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings". Now I am able to do all my work in SharePoint 2007 just like I did with Office 2007. I am running all this setup on my Windows 7 machine.