Thread: word and excel opening up very slow

word and excel opening up very slow

The office apps such as Word and Excel are opening up ver slowly and at times, it will take 40-50 seconds after clicking on its icon? Can anyone tell me whats going on here? Thanks

RE: word and excel opening up very slow

Even I am getting this on my Office 2003 Pro after some time. This problem occurs only with MS Office Documents even if it is on the network drive or local drive. Is this problem caused because of some recent update or such? I have a Mcafee antivirus scanning the document before opening, so is this problem related to the antivirus issue? Any ideas?

Recently when I opend Word, its logo box appeared on screen after 1 minute and then it took another 50 seconds to open the document itself. This problem has been happening many times recently. When I open up the task manager, then it seems that the HP updates are running although I havent scheduled to run them, so after disabling them the issue seems to go away it seems.

Re: word and excel opening up very slow

I encountered a very annoying file opening delay problem after purchasing and installing the latest version of McAfee Security Center. Files opened quickly when selecting the file from within Word or Excel but deathly slow when just clicking on the file icon. It was cured on a visit to McAfee chat support. The tech had me first download and run a McAfee Cleanup program. Then he had me open the Security Center, go to "Maintain Computer" and run McAfee QuickClean using the default selections. After doing the above a reboot was required. Upon rebooting I was rewarded by rapid opening of Word, Excel and Acrobat documents when I double clicked on the file icon. I had been encountering delays of 30-100 seconds when double clicking icons either from Windows Explorer or from within emails. All is well now.