Thread: Microsoft Publisher error - cannot open file

Microsoft Publisher error - cannot open file

I just purchased a 2007 Publisher, installed it on my laptop and for some reason I'm unable to open any files I create. It keeps giving me the error message 'Publisher cannot open the file'. I've never had this problem before with any other software and don't know whether it's some setting on my laptop that needs adjusting or what...it's really bizarre.

Below is a link that would help you find out a basic solution on your issue. What is the edition of Publisher you are using. If the below solution does not work then another option that remains is to simply run a repair setup of Office application and the same might work well.

How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher

Re: Microsoft Publisher error - cannot open file

It's a brand new 2007 version....it was installed successfully and activated. I created a file - saved and then when I try to go back to reopen the file it then gives me the error message. Do you think this is a software issue or something to do with my laptop itself?

I am currently having the same issue. the interesting thing is half the users in my group have the problem, half of them don't. But it just started and it affected all of the ones having the issue at the same time. Perhaps a MS update gone wrong?

Actually, I found the fix. I applied the hotfix from June 30, 2009 (found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972566 ) and it resolved my issue.

I've tried to download the hotfix, but Microsoft sends the URL to download the fix in an email and the link in the email is broken... any other suggestions? I've read other places that it's due to MS office SP2... the files are stored on a network drive, but they will open fine on a computer that doesn't have SP2.

There is a hotfix available on the official site of Microsoft that would allow you to fix the issue. You can do one more easier thing. Simply run Windows Update and then check back. The kb article that has hotfix is KB928890. You can get that through windows update also. If you are not able to find the same simply search it on web. You can run a repair setup that would be better to fix this kind of issues.

I also am receiving the same error message. I have Office 2007 SP2 12.06425.1000 with Hotfix KB972566 installed and have also applied the registry changes from KB928890.

I have confirmed that the file is still valid by opening it on another system without Office SP2.

Microsoft just issued a new hotfix that fixed the problem for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/976177/en-us

This are common issues with office app. It is necessary that you must first perform some updates and then if this issue is not fixed then only run the repair setup. That would wipe out your existing settings and then you will need to get the update back again.

This hotfix also worked for me. I had a problem simply reopening a file created with publisher 2007 SP2... couldn't reopen on the same machine with the same software that created the file. Seriously Microsoft? it can't open its own file?
    Luckily, there's a hotfix...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/976177/en-us
    Last edited by klebel19; 06-01-2010 at 03:46 AM.