Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Outlook (or) Word Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable

MS Office Support

Old 15-10-2008

Outlook (or) Word Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable

I run Vista Business x64 on an Acer Machine. I am using MS Office 97, and have been on this computer for about a year with no major issues.

I get the following message when opening word: Word Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable

And Outlook: Outlook Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable

I am then not able to save documents. When the save box comes up, only the cancel or no buttons will work. Word does start without the error message in safe mode. A new file CAN be saved from this, but when that file is opened, the error comes up anew.

Some forums have pointed to add ons. I have deleted all the new add-ons I have put on this machine and problem persists. A posting in this forum seems to perhaps hold the answer. I connected a Western Digital external hard drive to this machine the day before it started malfunctioning. The folks at WD said that the particular drive I was using wouldn't be compatible with vista 64. Then I found this posting (http://forums.techarena.in/newreply....e=1&p=4020359), which indicates that it may be caused by the "Secure Browsing" function of WD Synch. Once I realized that the WD drive wouldn't work, I immediately uninstalled the correlating software.

I then looked at my registry key (as recommended in the aforementioned thread) and changed it to what was recommended by several users. It seems as though what I need to do is reset the registry key to one of the ones recommended by the users, or something new. So my question: what should the registry key be changed to? Does it matter? Why can't I just create a folder for temporary files? And is this truly the root cause of this problem??

Thanks for your help!!

Old 15-10-2008

Problem solved! I just looked in some other directories within registry editor and found it under USER shell folders!!!
Old 24-10-2008

RE: Outlook (or) Word Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2007. I am using a Home Edition of Office 2007 and things look working fine here. I need some help here also to work on the temp folder. Does just checking out stuff under temp environment is more than enough. Will that be working fine.
Old 24-10-2008

Re: Outlook (or) Word Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable

Have you plugged in a Western Digital external hard drive recently by any chance? Here's a good walk through. http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...sageID=2617575
Old 12-02-2009

Re: Outlook (or) Word Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable

If you are working with a Western Digital external hard drive and secure browsing, you can keep the software running - just make sure that the external drive is connected when you start or work with any of the Office applications.
Old 03-04-2009

Following FelixWass idea, it works. But I have to always connect the external disk to computer. Is there any solution without the external connection?

diben805: what's your solution? could you summarize that I can try?

Frustrated with Western Digit.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Tags: , , , , , ,