Thread: Microsoft Office Word Not Installed For Current User

Microsoft Office Word Not Installed For Current User

I’m using Windows Vista, recently installed Office 2007 on the same. Installation went fine but when I try using any Office app, for example MS Word, it gives me an error message saying: “Microsoft Office Word Not Installed For Current User.” Note that I’m the only Admin of this computer, and there is only one account this PC, its Admin account. Still don’t know why is it saying so. So far I have tried several Knowledge base articles regarding this but none of them worked.

I thought re-installing can fix the problem but yet no. Still the problem remains. Any idea what is wrong and how can I get rid of this? Many thanks.

What if you make a new user?

The same error message appears for the new user (both standard and admin
    accounts) and the program quits as before.

Oh DUH, you said Vista! Was this installed and activated with the UAC
    disabled? If not please try that.

yes, originally it was installed and run with UAC enabled, the problem
    appeared ~4 months after using the apps. So reinstalls have been tried with
    UAC on and off and still no dice.

Office 2007 Error

I have the exact same problem. I have tried everything listed and I still get the same error message. I am running Vista Ultimate SP1 with Office 2007. Problem didn't occur until after updates were installed.

I had an XP Pro SP3 system with the same problem. I was able to remove Office 2007 after manually uninstalling using regedit and a few other techniques. (If you need more info in this let me know, RLM703@gmail.com) Anyways after removing Office 2007 I reinstalled and stopped all Office updates from being installed. Never had a problem after that. It was just time consuming and I don't care to go through it again. I'm hoping for a quick fix....

The update in question is "2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack1 (SP1)" I tried to uninstall it, i couldn't. After this was installed was when I began receiving the error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email RLM703@gmail.com or post reply. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I have had the same problem after installing VISTA Home Premium. I installed MS Office 2007 Ultimate first. After updating I got this message. I had to reinstall Office and it worked until updating. I removed it again and install MS Office Pro. The same thing happened. I reinstalled again and installed all updates but SP1. The same result. Now I installed only SP1 and it works. It has to be some update which caused that. I have no time to discover which one because it is a time consuming task.

Re: Microsoft Office Word Not Installed For Current User

here's the solution if you're running XP (i'm not sure how much this would differ with vista but it may be exactly the same)...

step 1:
    open C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA

step 2:
    delete opa12.dat (for office 2007) or opa11.dat (for previous versions)

step 3:
    open any office program and put your product key in again

note:
    this problem occurs for a couple of reasons...
    1. the permissions for the opa**.dat file were not set for everyone or...
    2. you are running a pirated version of office and either windows genuine advantage or office sp1 has picked up on it
    Last edited by patrick.ivers; 28-02-2009 at 08:36 AM.

I am not sure if tis wrks...

CAUTION:I m not responsible for anything tat happen
    close all office program and setup
    run regedit.exe
    go to HKLM\software\microsoft\office\12.0\registration and delete everything(office 2007)
    go to HKLM\software\microsoft\office\11.0\registration and delete everything(office 2003)
    there...make a backup if you want juz incase...
    log off your comp and log in
    launch any office program eg. word
    fill in your serial no.
    and click next
    after the setup finish,go to option >resources >activate(office 2007)
    and fill in ur serial no. again
    and finish the setup.
    exit the office prog.
    launch the office prog again.
    if there is no prob , reboot ur comp again
    and test it .
    if is all okay,u r done

I am running an older dell lap top with Win XP and had the same problem with this occurring with Office 2007 with sp1. The solution posted by patrick.ivers works great and quickly solved the problem.

The issue here is the opa12.dat file (Office 2007) was somehow changed. (My other computers with XP and Vista are still problem free)

Try patrick.ivers solution, it's much easier and safer than digging into registry as some others have suggested.

note: In my case, I was not even able to uninstall/reinstall office 2007 because it said "appropriate setup file" was unavailable.
    Last edited by AYCColitis; 24-03-2009 at 04:29 AM.

I'm having the same problem but completing those steps didn't work. It appears that the "OFFICE" and "MSDAIPP" folders in the same location seems to be deleted after each reboot. If I copy those two folders to my desktop and the reboot and the copy them back to their original location, everything works. How do I stop XP or Office from deleting those two folders after each reboot? Both XP pro and Office 2007 are legitimate and the problem occurred after some updates but I'm not quite sure which ones.

Actually, neither of those reasons apply. 1, Since I did a reinstall, the program has not run long enough to generate a .dat file to change.
    2. I got my copy of Office SBME 2006 direct from Microsoft. Therefore, I rather doubt that it was or is a "non-authorized" copy. (aka pirated)
    I use this particular program at home on a XP Home version.