Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Standard file dialogs (open, save) cause Office 2007 to hang

MS Office Support

Old 13-09-2008

I just installed Office Professional Plus 2007 on Windows Server 2003 R2 (64-bit, SP2), and found that the programs are unable to display any of the standard file dialogs, unless I first open the print dialog. This means that I can't open, save as, or insert from inside any Office apps without that extra step. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, started Word in Safe Mode (with Ctrl held down), and changed my default printer, all to no avail. In other words:

1. Start Office 2007 app
2. Select Open, Save As, Insert, ...
3. App hangs

1. Start Office 2007 app
2. Select Print and cancel
3. Select Open, Save As, Insert, ...
4. Everything works beautifully

Kind of a peculiar problem to describe, but any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 13-09-2008

A correction: Opening the Print dialog first does resolve the problem in Word and PowerPoint, but not in Excel. Perhaps some similar incantation exists for Excel, but I haven't yet discovered it.
Old 15-09-2008

Re: Standard file dialogs (open, save) cause Office 2007 to hang

I think you need to first remove your network printer from your system. Once done, restart the computer and run “Add Printer Wizard”. Follow the instructions and Add Printer Wizard. This is because Add Printer Wizard t driver is installed locally and it allows all Office apps to find the printer driver when required.
Old 16-10-2008

Hey guys even I’m facing the same problem. It started just today morning. As you suggested I removed my network printer and added it again using Add Printer Wizard. But the problem still remains as earlier with all Office 2007 applications.

Any other please?
Old 07-12-2008

I had this happen to me this week. It affected both Word 2007 and Excel 2007. I could not save documents in either application. The recommendation to open the Print dialog and then cancel made it possible to save Word documents but this did not work for Excel. After more research in other forums I found a cure for my issue. I moved the temporary internet files to c:\. This resolved the issue for both Word and Excel. This was one of the troubleshooting steps posted by Emily Lin, Miscrosoft Online Partner Support. The tread is at Office 2007 - Vista - Cannot Save to network drive.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Office Help > MS Office Support
Tags: , , , ,