I have an ASUS A8NSLI. Just today it has started telling me on bootup that it has found new hardware and wants the drivers for it. For a USB Serial Controller.

There appears to be no such drivers on the ASUS setup disk.

I find this device in the device manager and sure enough, it is marked as questionable. Reinstalling drivers doesn't work. It can't find any drivers.

There is no new hardware.

What there was was a cellphone to pc cable. For a Nokia 2112. Which didn't work. And the software (Nokia PC Suite) wouldn't install either Because, it said, the PC Suite I already had installed was newer than that one. Which would be right, seeing the 2112 is a very ancient phone and the Suite I have currently installed is for a 6085 which only a recently ancient phone.

I see another thread where someone also has problems originating with a cellphone, and calls for drivers for USB, and someone replies and says they can't see what USB drivers have to do with cellphones. Nor can I. But there's apparently some connection.

It wasn't the pc Suite that knocked out the Controller software, because it was all working fine for weeks prior to my attempt to install the 2112.

Hopefully the whole problem can be fixed without any reference to the Nokia stuff.

Does anyone know how?

Device Manager also shows my RAID controller as problematic. (I don't use RAID so it doesn't matter).

Can anyone help?

regards,

ab