Thread: Bad Bios Update, Help

Bad Bios Update, Help

Helpin my friend update his bios.(needed it for his new ram to work). since I was doing it over VNC and not in person I decided to do it with winflah program.. well, when it was done it said failed.. Come to fine out it had a boot block lock or somehting.. SO I had him restart and go into bios and turn it off.. Now it hangs at the "Verifying DMI pool data"... I had him go into bios and "Load Defauly Settings".. but it still hangs.. Then I had him do a Cmos reset with the jumper.. Still hangs.. Then I had him remove the battery for an hour.. still hangs.. Now I am convinced the bios is curropt. I dont know why it wont do a cmos reset..So im am now trying to update his bios (using a bootable CD, I have done it before).. but when I have him boot from disk it it still trys to verify pool data and it hangs?.. any sugestions?

Thanks

For one clearing the cmos and removing the battery is pointless. To recover the system now since you didn't make a backup copy of the current version you will have to prepare a boot floppy on another machine along with downloading the dos tool for this. You will also have to able to copy the update directly onto the hard drive which should or maybe still there. Flashing a bios however is never done remotely. Refer to the board's user manual or support site for instructions on the dos method. And hope that goes well.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Yea.. I have all the stuff I need.. files wise.. i just need a floppy drive.. I cant get as far as to boot form CD to get it done.. So im gonna need a floppy drive to get this fixed.. once I have the the floppy installed and all.. I set it to first boot device.. Then put my update progeram and original .rom (bios) it will boot form it and work?

First of all you have to be able to get into the bios setup program right when the system is turned on. This will depend on how bad the flash was to begin with. If you can set the boot order and enable floppy search the dos tool would then be available from a dos type prompt. But you also need a copy of the manual update copied to the root of the hard drive.

The last option is to actually remove the current bios eprom with a special tool and ship it to the board's manufacturer to have them reflash it with the intended version for the shipping costs or order a replacement with that lready on it. The method of creating a bootable cd with the dos tool on it would be the first thing without adding a floppy dirve in. But yuo would still have to follow the exact instructions seen in the manual or onlime.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Bency View Post
    Helpin my friend update his bios.(needed it for his new ram to work). since I was doing it over VNC and not in person I decided to do it with winflah program.. well, when it was done it said failed.. Come to fine out it had a boot block lock or somehting.. SO I had him restart and go into bios and turn it off.. Now it hangs at the "Verifying DMI pool data"... I had him go into bios and "Load Defauly Settings".. but it still hangs.. Then I had him do a Cmos reset with the jumper.. Still hangs.. Then I had him remove the battery for an hour.. still hangs.. Now I am convinced the bios is curropt. I dont know why it wont do a cmos reset..So im am now trying to update his bios (using a bootable CD, I have done it before).. but when I have him boot from disk it it still trys to verify pool data and it hangs?.. any sugestions?

Thanks
    Hi,

There is a good guide for the bios related problems - How to update your BIOS ? , just have a look at it.