Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atx cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by abhay
    Dashu: we would love to know about those problems. at least i would. i am planning to buy true480 (whenever i can manage cash) and would love to have some heads up about those problems.
    i too asked theitdepot people about removing the power supply from Plus 1080 and guess what i was told. they will reduce just 1500 bucks from the price of the cabinet!!! can you believe it? if you buy the same power supply separately it costs you somewhere around 4500 bucks and they will give you just 1500 bucks. talk about that.
    well if it comes with the case they might not charge a lot because they will have to sell it unboxed or something ?

i think better option would be to go for something that comes by default without a psu right? check how much they charge for a PLUSVIEW1000AMG

anyways i am using a true power 480 and have had no problems running multiple drives and fans

Abhay, thanks for the informations. I think Richard has a Truepower and he was having some problems with it .

Richard!!! can you please help us??

Bottle, for running a 480 watt smps and say a 17/19 inch monitor what should be the power rating of your UPS??
    Last edited by Pagladashu; 30-09-2004 at 12:39 AM.
    My Main Computer
    P4 2.4C, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, Zalman Alcu7000A HSF, 2X256 MB Crucial and 2X256 MB Corsair DDR 400 RAM, Radeon 9500 Pro, LOGITECH MX 510 mouse, Antec Smartpower 350 watts, Seagate and Samsung 7200 rpm HDD-80 GB each, SyncMaster 763MB monitor, Samsung CD writer, Altec Lansing ATP 3 speaker.

abhay Guest
    when i asked (along 1080AMG) PlusView1000 AMG was 5500/- bucks. btw do you think they would sell that PSU unboxed for 2000/-? man that would be a steal wouldn't it?
    i wonder if someone would be so lucky to hit a deal like that

hey richard do tell us your problems man.

Quote Originally Posted by abhay
    when i asked (along 1080AMG) PlusView1000 AMG was 5500/- bucks. btw do you think they would sell that PSU unboxed for 2000/-? man that would be a steal wouldn't it?
    i wonder if someone would be so lucky to hit a deal like that

hey richard do tell us your problems man.
    why not go for the 1000 instead of the 1080 then ? they both are more or less the same right ? and then you have cash to spare to get a tp480

@Pagladashu

to find out what capacity ups you need ,you have to find out how many watts each pc component uses , add them all up and multipy it by 1.4 to get the VA rating and accordingly get a 500,600 or 800va ups.. i daresay you will be ok with a 600 va ups but you might want to consider 800 va and get a bit more backup time

There are 2 problems with the Antec True480w.

1) the PSU fans have a 3 wire speed indicator plug which is to be attached to the mother board and this is supposed to let you get the PSU fans RPM as well as the temperature of the PSU. I have tried all sorts of things to get these readings in the BIOS but no luck. I asked around on the Forums and other people too mention that these readings do not appear in the BIOS or by Mother Board Monitor. The only reading I ever got was a constant temp reading of 45C for the PSU by MBM. Maybe this connector does not work on my ASUS P4C800ED board - can anyone with an Antec PSU confirm if he gets these readings in the BIOS. This problem may be connected with the next one.

2) The PSU fans rotate very very slowly - I think I can blow air at a higher speed with my mouth. Antec say this is a feature built into the PSU and when the PSU temps rise its fans will speed up. I actually sat with a hair drier and blew in hot air onto the PSU and nothing changed. I understood that the PSU fans run slower because the PSU supplies it a lower voltage - how to check the voltage was my question and the answer to this is that the PSU fans and the FAN ONLY connectors of the PSU receive the same voltage so I measured the voltage on the FAN ONLY connectors with a digital multimeter and these wires which should be delivering 12v to case fans were giving out...... 4.7v !!!!! Arrghhh!!!! Now we know why Antec fans in the PSU and any Fans connected to the FAN ONLY connectors have such a low RPM. Fans connected to the FAN ONLY connectors are so slow that my ASUS P4C800ED Motherboard does not indicate any speeds for fans connected to them. I have measured the temp of the air exiting from the rear of the PSU and it is 43C constantly.

If you want to see the insides of the Antec True480w PSU check out this excellent review - notice the professional soldering on the PCB done in China - NOT GOOD - see how the legs of the parts are nearly touching in many places

Inside the Antec True480 Power Supply

One of these days I am going to say "forget the 3 years warranty" and open the PSU and attach the PSU Fans directly to a 12v supply or maybe I will connect them up for a 7v supply. I feel at 12v they will become very loud. I am also keen on Windowing the PSU. I must remember to snip off any excessive length of the legs of parts soldered to the PCB.

Quote Originally Posted by bottle
    why not go for the 1000 instead of the 1080 then ? they both are more or less the same right ?
    The difference is that the 1000 is windowed and does not have a fan on the side panel and it does not come with a PSU. Other than that they use the same shell.

You can buy different side panels in case you want to have a window on the 1080 or a fan without window on the 1000. The side panels are priced at Rs 1750 each the last time I checked. Should be lower now.

Richard, so it seems that even these True Blue Amrecian companies (pun intended!) are playing dirty!!
    My Main Computer
    P4 2.4C, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, Zalman Alcu7000A HSF, 2X256 MB Crucial and 2X256 MB Corsair DDR 400 RAM, Radeon 9500 Pro, LOGITECH MX 510 mouse, Antec Smartpower 350 watts, Seagate and Samsung 7200 rpm HDD-80 GB each, SyncMaster 763MB monitor, Samsung CD writer, Altec Lansing ATP 3 speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    There are 2 problems with the Antec True480w.

1) the PSU fans have a 3 wire speed indicator plug which is to be attached to the mother board and this is supposed to let you get the PSU fans RPM as well as the temperature of the PSU. I have tried all sorts of things to get these readings in the BIOS but no luck. I asked around on the Forums and other people too mention that these readings do not appear in the BIOS or by Mother Board Monitor. The only reading I ever got was a constant temp reading of 45C for the PSU by MBM. Maybe this connector does not work on my ASUS P4C800ED board - can anyone with an Antec PSU confirm if he gets these readings in the BIOS. This problem may be connected with the next one.

2) The PSU fans rotate very very slowly - I think I can blow air at a higher speed with my mouth. Antec say this is a feature built into the PSU and when the PSU temps rise its fans will speed up. I actually sat with a hair drier and blew in hot air onto the PSU and nothing changed. I understood that the PSU fans run slower because the PSU supplies it a lower voltage - how to check the voltage was my question and the answer to this is that the PSU fans and the FAN ONLY connectors of the PSU receive the same voltage so I measured the voltage on the FAN ONLY connectors with a digital multimeter and these wires which should be delivering 12v to case fans were giving out...... 4.7v !!!!! Arrghhh!!!! Now we know why Antec fans in the PSU and any Fans connected to the FAN ONLY connectors have such a low RPM. Fans connected to the FAN ONLY connectors are so slow that my ASUS P4C800ED Motherboard does not indicate any speeds for fans connected to them. I have measured the temp of the air exiting from the rear of the PSU and it is 43C constantly.
    asus probe shows my psu fans running at 2300rpm .. good enough for me. where so i check my psu temperature using mbm5 ?

asus probe shows my psu fans running at 2300rpm .. good enough for me. where so i check my psu temperature using mbm5 ?
    Which Motherboard ? I think the ASUS P4C800ED has a problem of showing the Fan speed when it is below a certain RPM - I dont know what the min speed it shows. But let me say this I am sure that the Antec True480 PSU Fans I have do not have an RPM over about 700. The fans run really slow. Have you too got the new True480 PSU which has black Molex drive connectors and has 2 SATA power connectors - I have this and I understand that Antec made a few changes on this version of the True480.

If you have the 3 pin plug for the PSU Fan speed and this plug has 2 wires Blue and Black than the Blue is for PSU Fan RPM and the black is supposed to carry the temperature information the centre pin has no wire. This PSU temperature feature has to be supported in the Mother Board's BIOS.

About your question about getting the PSU temperaures check in the Mobo's BIOS to see if this option is mentioned. In MBM it should be the third Sensor after the CPU Temp and the Case Temp - you will have to try some combinations of "MBM 5 Sensor" and "Should display board Sensor" to see if it works for your setup.

hey i was mistaken about the rpm speed .

was a bit surprised myself at the high rpm of the psu fans and just saw that i had forgotten to connect the psu monitoring wire, my mistake

anyways after connecting i get 14xx rpm in the bios for the psu fans and still no temperature

guess only either one wire works ??

yes mine comes with the black molex and 2 sata connectors
    Last edited by bottle; 30-09-2004 at 12:44 PM.

i played a game of farcry for a few mins and the rpms increased to 1600 rpm so looks like the temp controls are working ok.

hey i dont know if its a psychological thing or what but i think theres more air coming out of the psu when i leave the monitor wire disconnected give it a try richard , disconnect the wire and see if theres any difference

i used a digital thermometer and placed it in the vicinity of the rear psu fan and got a temp of 39C

also do you have anything like that asus q-fan or anything enabled in the bios?
    Last edited by bottle; 30-09-2004 at 01:45 PM.

hey i was mistaken about the rpm speed .

was a bit surprised myself at the high rpm of the psu fans and just saw that i had forgotten to connect the psu monitoring wire, my mistake

anyways after connecting i get 14xx rpm in the bios for the psu fans and still no temperature

guess only either one wire works ??

yes mine comes with the black molex and 2 sata connectors
    Here is my ASUS Probe screen - notice the PSU Fans reading I like your CPU and Case temps .... CPU 33 Case 40 how do you manage this high a case temp compared to the CPU temp ? I have the ASUS P4C800ED with the Zalman 7000cu HSF. I think that possibly the wire for the Fan speed may have a break in it or my board does not support it. If I connect the case fan to the PSU Fan header I get a reading from it so the MoBo seems to be OK.

I removed the wires and I dont see any differnce in air flow. The air temperature at back of PSU remained the same.

Qfan is disabled as I use the Zalman fan controller to reduce the RPM. I use a pretty accurate Mercury thermometer for temperature readings.

Hi Richard,
    Somehow P4P800s report higher MB temp than CPU temp. I don't know what causes this discrepancy. But it is quite common. Here is a screenshot of my Asus Probe. I use Zalman 7000A Alcu with 2.4C. Room temp is 29.7 deg C now. I have not connected the Antec 3-pin wire to my Mobo.
    My Main Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Pagladashu
    Hi Richard,
    Somehow P4P800s report higher MB temp than CPU temp. I don't know what causes this discrepancy. But it is quite common. Here is a screenshot of my Asus Probe. I use Zalman 7000A Alcu with 2.4C. Room temp is 29.7 deg C now. I have not connected the Antec 3-pin wire to my Mobo.
    I understand from many sources that ASUS MoBo's give a 8C lower reading for the CPU temps. So you have to add this 8C to get close to the actual CPU temp. But the P4P's seem to give a wider difference in the CPU and Case temps. The P4C used to give me a 3C difference till I added the 3rd 120mm fan and now I get about the same temps for both. I too run the 2.4C and I dont see more than 1C difference in temp if I O'Clock to 3.0

I thought Delhi was hotter than 29.7 C these days ? A/C running ?

I like your PSU voltage readings - very good. My 3.3 is a bit on the low side - but well within tolerances.

my case temps increased a lot after adding 3 new hard disks which just about manage to complely block the air intake i envy both you guys and your temps

i use the cnps 7000 fan direct without the cooler , it still is the quitestest thing in my case

anyway richard , have no idea why you aren't able to read you psu fan speed anyways i have read that a lot of antecs run hot and most people seem to think that it wont cause problems so lets us hope too

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast