Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: CPU Overheating!!

sad CPU Overheating!!

Hey guys! this is my first thread on this site!
    Here's my confg:
    Intel P4 2.8 Ghz-HT-1Mb L2 Cache-800Mhz
    Intel D865GBF Mobo
    80Gb-7200 rpm seagate baracuda hdd
    512 mb ram- *256mb ddr400
    *256mb ddr333
    Samsung 52x/24x/52x CD-Rw/R
    HP 15' CRT Monitor
    Logitech keyboard n optical mouse
    Intex 10/100 Lan card
    450 watts atx tower

1) My first Doubt is whether my CPU is based on Northwood or Prescott core?
    2) My CPU gets heated upto 70 deg within 15-20 mins of starting the pc. I use the Intel's active monitor which came with the mobo to check the thermal ratings. Whenever i use applications such as Ms word or Excel, i llways get a system alert tat my cpu is over its thermal limit. The System zone 1 temp is arnd 55C and that of System zone 2 is 55-56C.Wat cld be the problem. i've put an xtra fan in th cabinet but in vain... i still get the alert msg!!!
    3) Also i want to buy a good Graphics card for smething arnd 10k. which 1 shld i go for?

1. its got 1MB cache. so its a Prescott core. hence they overheat.

2. try running the comp with the side panel open. see if that helps bring the temp down. If not, may be the thermal pad that comes with the heat sink was removed during the process of installing the CPU. check for that too.

3. the best option wud be a 9600 Pro in that price range!

Dude... that pc is of a prescott core..
    i too owned one and had the same problem.....
    First of all u just remove the pin of the fan.... yes yes that same pint that is connected to the mobo and reinsert it into another socket of the same type....

if its not working.....
    then when u get the overheat message.. try and touch the heatsink and see if its hot (ya ya that same 70 c) if its not then its probably a screwed up sensor and if its hot then...

try to keep the side pannel open and run the same program and see if r getting the message again..... also try to mod ur case and fit in an extra couple of fans just as i did.......

you in mumbai naa... if these all things fail... get urself an arctic silver thermal paste and apply it on the heatsink this will work for sure

regarding the graphic card get urself a 9600 XT for that budget of 10k.... but i wud suggest to shell out some 3-4k more and get a 9800 pro if u can
    http://forums.techarena.in

mlnunes Guest
    2) My CPU gets heated upto 70 deg within 15-20 mins of starting the pc. I use the Intel's active monitor which came with the mobo to check the thermal ratings. Whenever i use applications such as Ms word or Excel, i llways get a system alert tat my cpu is over its thermal limit. The System zone 1 temp is arnd 55C and that of System zone 2 is 55-56C.Wat cld be the problem. i've put an xtra fan in th cabinet but in vain... i still get the alert msg!!!
    3) Also i want to buy a good Graphics card for smething arnd 10k. which 1 shld i go for?
    1. 2000% sure its a Prescott...coz I own the same..
    2. That's too much...My CPU stays within 55C all the time while using simple apps like word, excel and even photoshop...It gets to 70C while running full load for 15mins. or so. First, I damaged the original thermal tape that came with the heat sink and applied some local made thermal paste. I can't find arctic silver or anything like here.
    I have Stars Heatsink Compound. Dunno if its good enough?
    3. I'll recommend you to go for one from nVidia instead of an ATi coz I still think nVidia is the best of em all..

if these all things fail... get urself an arctic silver thermal paste and apply it on the heatsink this will work for sure
    Dude, stop spreading this misconception that Arctic silver is a one-step-fix for all heat problems! People are asking for genuine advice about their heat problems, and it is ridiculous to keep giving the same answer to everyone that a 600Rs. tube is going to solve all their heat problems! You need to address the basic root issue to heat buildup in the first place.

I believe arctic silver is more of a "performance" compound - it will help the enthusiasts/overclockers get lower temperatures, but its not going to perform miracles and instantly transform 70C temps to 40-50C temps. Arctic silver will perform about 5-6C better than your default heatsink compound (again depends on what you are comparing it to), but its not going to drastically drop temps from 70C! Arctic silver helps conduct heat away better, but if the heat isnt going away from the system in the first place .. then Arctic silver is 100% useless in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    Hey guys! this is my first thread on this site!
    Here's my confg:
    Intel P4 2.8 Ghz-HT-1Mb L2 Cache-800Mhz
    Intel D865GBF Mobo
    80Gb-7200 rpm seagate baracuda hdd
    512 mb ram- *256mb ddr400
    *256mb ddr333
    Samsung 52x/24x/52x CD-Rw/R
    HP 15' CRT Monitor
    Logitech keyboard n optical mouse
    Intex 10/100 Lan card
    450 watts atx tower

First of all yes its a Presscott.

Are you using intels Active monitor? Have you updated this to the new version?

Try this as well
    Go into your bios and then look for

Fan Control Configaration.
    Fan Control = Enabled
    Lowest Fan Speed = Slow

This is how it needs to be

Whats the CPU fans RPM?

Usually when the temps start climbing the Fan goes faster and faster.. I have seen fans Go all upto 4500-5000 RPM on presscott cores. But rarly some fans Dont go above 2300-2800 RPM, I have seen these too. Thats when the temps usually go up.
    There are some fan related issues on p4 with HTT made during 2003. Very few Fans have this problem.
    Best Solution would be to replace this with an OEM fan costing around 150-250.

Let me know the CPU Fan Speed

Last edited by stalkersoftware; 05-09-2004 at 07:29 PM.

i too am facing these problems i purchased a p-4 3igs 2 days ago every thing works fine except my pc over heats pretty much,
    i get the errors when my themp indicators show that 'system zone 1 temp grester than 50 dig cel"
    i want 2 know what does system zone 1 and 2 basically mean(which part of my mbd do they represent"

----how much do extra fans cost
    Last edited by humpty_dumpty; 05-09-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by humpty_dumpty
    the best sol till now i figured out was 2 open up side covers of my pc and keep a kitchen fan(I mean khetan type) in front of it

_2:
    know i really know why intel s**ks BIG TIME!!!
    any comments??
    humpty_dumpty ???

What error do you get? You usually dont get errors. Only a message.

depends, Zone1 usually its your north bridge.

Please post complete system specs.. .Is this a 850GB board?

Right click on zone1 and select
    Set Sensor Thresholds
    Increase it to 60

You will be fine

BTW I couldnt even reply to this post with 1-2 of my smilies tooooooooooooooooo many smilies.
    Last edited by stalkersoftware; 05-09-2004 at 11:40 PM.

hey ,
    i am soory 2 quote it wrongly i dont get "errors" i just get messages(which u r mentioning)
    my config is
    p-4ht
    865 gbf mbd
    512 ddr 400mhz
    lg combo
    120 gb segate barracuda (sata drive)
    15" monitor
    48x samsung cd drive

300W smps
    my cabinet(with an extra side fan,i mean the first one being in the smps ) is a small one not a tower (the reason i think it overheats 2 much ),with the proc being behind the Smps (this blocks the convection ) .
    now the only options i have is either 2 add another fan below the smps (thatas the only place 2 add an extra fan, & i dont think it will work much)
    or putting another fan(as i mentioned above)infront of the cpu if any suggestions plz reply
    also how much does a fan cost

taylor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by humpty_dumpty
    my cabinet(with an extra side fan,i mean the first one being in the smps ) is a small one not a tower (the reason i think it overheats 2 much ),with the proc being behind the Smps (this blocks the convection ) .
    Thats ur problem! u shud never buy a cabinet which has a vertical SMPS position. If possible, try exchanging it to a new one which has a Horizontal position of the SMPS.

cngn Guest

Simple Case Cooling - This is a good read.

Credit goes to it's author not I, who have only copied and pasted it for you guys

An Air Cooling Guide.
    Before I go on let me tell you guys a few things.

#1 This is my first ever computer related guide.
    #2 Im new into cooling, any suggestions, ideas and comments are highly appreciated!
    #3 English is not my Native Language.

Today I woke up with the intention of going to College, Eventually decided to stay home, was getting bored, couldnt go back to sleep so I decided to write my FIRST article today.

With the modern PCs, cooling isnt an option, it has become a necessity! By cooling im not just talking about the CPU and the Motherboard, But also the video card, the hard disk, the ram, northbridge ...

Without Modication, efficient case cooling is hardly possible!

The first Mod is to cut those darn grills! These grills can block the Air flow to upto 60% ! It is strongly suggested that you cut these off and install a regular circular grill. Start by cutting the edges, A Pair of tin snips can come handy.

You would also want make a hole for a fan at the top of the case, later on in this article I will explain it to you why at the top?

Having 2 fans in the PSU is also a good option, 1 at the rear and 1 at the bottom ( inside your case, over the CPU ). If you already have 2 fans in the PSU, you would obviously skip this step.

Fans at the Side! Blowing air directly over the CPU!, these will help you get drop the temps down by like 4-5c. You may also choose to use a Duct, which could help through the Air DIRECTLY over the CPU.

Thats about it for all the modding here, lets move further.

Before I move on to the fan placement and the cooling, you must realise that you have to CLEAN IT ALL UP!

You may start with using a Blower to blow all the dust out of your PC, you would'nt want to turn the pc on at this moment. If you already have fans in the casing, take them out and clean them using the blower or using a Can of compressed air ( recommended ).

The next step is to tidy all those wires. You will be needing a tape and some cables ties here. Make sure that the wires do not block the Air circulation in any way, using cable ties, tie these wires together and then stick them on the sides using a tape.

This was the easy way, you can also use plastic pipes, but for that you would have to remove the Molex connectors.

Moving on to, Fan Placement.

What generates the most heat in your Case ?

The CPU and the Video card.

For those who dont know how hot a modern GPU can get, how about this ; I have heatsink on my GPU memory. When I run benchmarks and games I cant even put my finger on those SINKS! for more than 3-5 seconds! You can feel the heat all around the Video card.

Leme get you guys back to schooling here, Did you know Hot air rises ? ( OuCH !, im saying this cause some people here dont )

All the heat which is generated by the PC, accordingly rises.

The Heat generated by the CPU needs to be extracted out of the Case! The best method is to install fans at the rear, and preferably underneath the PSU.

If you have places for 2 fans at the rear, installing 2 fans at the rear will also help you to get the heat produced by the Video card and the CPU out of the casing, otherwise if you have only one fan, your Graphic card will propably be closer to the fan at the rear.

If you have places for 2 fans at the rear, dont leave any place empty. Use them! ( It is a different case if you have few intakes )

Not all the warm air is extracted out from the fans at the rear, some of these hover often at the top of the case, just right next to the PSU. You would want to install a fan at the top, and get this air out of the casing.

Installing a PCI Slot Exhaust is also a good option, it would help you get some of the heat generated by the Video card out of the casing.

Hot Spots for Exhausts ?

- Rear
    - Underneath the Graphic card
    - Underneath the Power supply

Soo much for the exhaust, We also need to get cool air in.

It is first recommended that you keep your casing in an open place otherwise you will be restricting cool air from entering into the case.

Adding a fan in the front is by far the best option! The Cool air comes in from the front and goes out from the rear and the top. Some people do install fans in the front but they surpass the fact that there is no vent in the front! When installing a fan in the front make sure that you have a hole or a vent in the front through which cool air could enter the casing. Otherwise you are just taking the warm air from inside the case and throwing it ...

The second and one of the most effective solution is to install a fan at the side, preferably one over the CPU and one over the GPU. To make the case look good, you would want both of them directly over each other.

Another placement for the fan is at the bottom! YES AT THE BOTTOM !, But for this you would be needing something to lift your case off the table or the ground to upto a couple of inches. You could use your books , Install wheels, Use your Imagination!

Cool Spots for Intakes ?

- Front bottom
    - Rear Top
    - Side Panel, Over the CPU.
    - Side Panel, Over the GPU.
    - Bottom

So it is upto to you to decide which combination you should go for, Here are some :

--------------------------------

Example #1 :

Intake :

1 fan in the front
    2 fans on the side panel, one over the GPU, and one over the CPU

Exhaust :

2 fans at the rear
    1 fan at the top

Example #2 ( for those who dont have front intake )

Intake :

2 fans on the side, one over the CPU and the other over the GPU

Exhaust :

1 fan at the rear, ( even if you have a place for another fan do not use it, i will later on explain it to you why )
    1 fan at the top.

Example #3 ( for those who have place for fans in the front and are not willing to cut the Sides )

Possiblity A ( If they have 2 front )

2 fans in the front as Intake, 1 at the Top for exhaust, 1 at the rear for exhaust

Possibility B ( If they have a single place for a fan in the front )

1 fan in the front as intake, 1 fan at the rear as exhaust

--------------------------------

By now you guys must have realized that in all the examples Im trying to keep a 1:1 ratio. Some of you may ask why, well the answer is fairly simple :

If Intake > Exhaust.

The cool air will comes in. A time will come when this cool air is no longer cool, as it has no where to go out, it will be roaming around in the Case!

If Exhaust > Intake

You are extracting the warm air, but where is the Cool Air ?

Its all about Circulation, the air must keep on circulating!

Most people prefer having a 5:4 ratio, thus preventing dust from accomodating inside the case.

Now comes the
    Northbridge. It does not produce alot of heat when compared to the CPU and the video card, but it sure does need to be cooled down. The high end motherboards do come bundled with a heatsink on it, some like the MSI comes with a fan on it too.

Installing the fan on the northbridge makes any difference ?

If you are not overclocking it wont make a much of a difference, on the other hand if you are overclocking, cooling it down might help you get a few more mhz. If you dont have a heatsink on your northbridge, your northbridge propably does not heat up that much and thats why its not bundled with a one. You may start with installing a heatsink on it.

For those boards which come bundled with a heatsink, adding a fan over it is always a good decesion. But at times it is not possible to install fans on the heatsink, for this Side fans would do.

Now comes the Hard disk, if you have a front intake you should place the hard disk directly infront on the fan. In case you dont have a front intake you could use the hard disk coolers availible in the market.

Two most common types of HD coolers :

#1 :

This throws air directly over the Hard disk, you should not got for this unless you know you have a decent case cooling setup, otherwise your throwing warm air over it.

#2 :

This brings in cool air from the front of the case and throws it in front of the HD, But if you would have noticed this is throwing air on a very small surface as compared to the previous one.

So both have their Pros and Cons, Its upto you to decide, I am personally using the first one.

Note : The fans used in these coolers are usually crappy ones, BE AWARE OF THE NOISE!

Last but not the least comes the RAM, this itself does not produce alot of heat. If you have a decent case cooling setup, you would even require any.

Cooling depends on the Room Temperature! KEEP IT COOL!!

The above article is available here It's simple and doesn't require any major mods of sorts, also I'm not in favour of anyone running their PC with a side panel open, for one it's a nice way to allow dust amongst orher crap getting into your PC, on the fans, PCBs, and other parts, that are irrittating to cleanup later. and Two it's a major Safety issue, specially if you have children at home, you don't want anyone getting hurt, or electrocuted for that matter

AS5 can never replace or even counter some good Case Ventilation Planning. It can enhance your cooling though.

Just adding a few fans as well won't work, unless you know which zones of yer box are overheating and place fans where the optimum amount of airflow efficiency can take place.

Hope the artictle above is helpful, Credit goes to it's author not I, who have only copied and pasted it for you guys

ThumbsUp

the possible cause for the problem (if all the above has failed) would be the 12v connector of the smps......change the smps....will get fixed....u can mail me ur thanks later

mlnunes Guest
    Great article...
    It will solve many problems for sure!

abhay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Huntre
    yaa i agree to crazy a better option would be a more powerfull hsf combo don't know about any for presscott but i have my mind set on a thermaltake golden orb or a zalman cooler will buy one when i can afford it
    i once read in digit that if you don't use the HSF combo supplied with your processor then you void your warranty.
    is that true?
    Fans at the Side! Blowing air directly over the CPU!, these will help you get drop the temps down by like 4-5c.
    if i m blowing air over the CPU and the HSF acts as exhaust then wouldn't the two fans counter each other's airflow?
    please clear these two doubts for me.

Quote Originally Posted by abhay
    i once read in digit that if you don't use the HSF combo supplied with your processor then you void your warranty.
    is that true?
    if i m blowing air over the CPU and the HSF acts as exhaust then wouldn't the two fans counter each other's airflow?
    please clear these two doubts for me.
    if you change your cpu heatsink just hang on to the stock intel heatsink and return the stock hsf and cpu while rma'ing it , should any problems arise.

afaik hsf fans blow air onto the hsf not exhaust it right ? so there shouldnt be any conflicts

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast