Thread: Gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ No Display

Gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ No Display

Last night i shut down my computer properly, there was no power fluctuation/failure (there were no problem shutting down). and the next morning when i try to start my computer, it does not start. the SMPS fan and CPU fan are working fine. i have tested my CPU and RAM too on a friend's computer and it works fine. even the led near the RAM slot is glowing. my pc configuration is as :
    Mainboard : Gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ
    CPU : Intel Celeron 2.26 Ghz
    RAM : 256 DDR
    Please kindly give me a solution to my problem.

Re: Gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ No Display

look at the motherboard manual for hookup instructions they might not all be right
    Ravi

HI,
    Very interesting because I have the identical problem with the same board!
    My twelve years user experience [not too technical ] suggests that most problems are down to windows, even in the most unlikely cases. Be that as it may, I assume that your CD ROM does not work neither, nor your Floppy which does seem to let Windows off the hook.
    IN despair I have taken my machine into a local puter shop for diagnosis. I await the outcome but I will post whatever I learn.
    It has to be either the motherboard or the Power Supply Unit, even if the fan for this unit works too, is my guess. Later then

I have the diagnosis from the computer shop. I do not by the way, have complete confidence in any such shop BUT the say the motherboard is ' dead ' . They also said that I would have to put in a new motherboard and processor! That was due to the board being so old you could not get a replacement board that would take my ' old ' Pentium 4 processor.
    I have accepted their word on the dead motherboard but not the nonsense re the processor. Socket 4 boards are still plentiful here in Australia.
    Does this help you? I will replace the board and update again later.

Last night i shut down my computer properly, there was no power fluctuation/failure (there were no problem shutting down). and the next morning when i try to start my computer, it does not start. the SMPS fan and CPU fan are working fine. i have tested my CPU and RAM too on a friend's computer and it works fine. even the led near the RAM slot is glowing. my pc configuration is as :
    Mainboard : Gigabyte 81845GVM-RZ
    CPU : Intel 2.8 Ghz
    RAM : 256 DDR
    Please kindly give me a solution to my problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanx & Regards
    SELVAKUMAR.J

Check for KZG or HN or HM capacitors.

Does your board have some large brown capacitors labeled KZG?
    -or-
    Some Nichicon caps labeled HN or HM?

--

I've had two different boards with KZG fail with the exact same symptoms you describe. (Different boards than yours and different than each other.)

I replaced just the KZG on both my boards and now they both work fine.

--

I know Gigabyte likes the KZG, HN, and HM and that's why I brought this up.

KZG is a 'good brand' cap [Chemi-Con] that is turning out to be a bum series.
    They fail with no outward indication there is a problem and they go from good to bad suddenly. (Overnight)
    -
    When this happens most PC Techs write it off as 'bad motherboard' because without obvious visual indications of a cap problem PC Techs don't usually think about caps. Even if they did, most PC shops don't have the special equipment to properly test caps in the circuit and aren't equipped to replace caps anyway. - So they just tell you to get a new motherboard.
    -
    I'm not sure all KZGs have this problem but it's happens often enough there is definitley some kind of problem with them. (Just google >> KZG "bad cap" << and you'll see.) It may be only certain batches or those from a certain fab facility are affected but Chemi-Con 'isn't talking' so there is now way to know.

The Nichicon HN and HM series are also 'good brand' and possibly 'bad series' depending on their manufacture dates. Those manufactured between (roughly) 2002 and 2004 had a manufacturing defect.
    The defect was supposedly overfilling them (electrolyte) and has been corrected (so I'm told) but I still don't trust the series.
    The 2002-2004 manufactured caps still are in the supply channels and still show up on newer equipment now and then.
    The HN or HM will usually swell up or bloat so it's more obvious when they go bad. - I didn't have and HN or HM on these particular boards.

--

Don't blame whatever motherboard manufacturer for this one.
    A bad cap series from a 'good brand' is rare and unexpected.
    KZG, HM, and HN are 'good brand' caps.
    The motherboard maker was at least TRYING to use good parts by avoiding 'cheap brands' if those series are even on a board.

Intel, who has NEVER used crap brand caps on motherboards, has even been hit with KZG and HN problems.

Check for KZG or HN or HM capacitors.

Sorry, double post
    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 15-10-2007 at 03:58 AM. Reason: firefox hung - double posted