Thread: What to do if a motherboard is not having enough fan power port

What to do if a motherboard is not having enough fan power port

I can see only two fan controllers on my old Intel motherboard. I am quiet looking for more here. I want to add around 4 to 6 fans on the system case so that I can keep it a lot more cooler when I am playing games. I found that the system is getting really hot when I am trying to play the same on dual monitor. The board is just 2 year old and I did not saw the fan controllers before buying. My friend suggested me to add 4 fans on the entire case to keep it a lot more cooler. I am trying to do that from long time but the same is not helping.

Re: What to do if a motherboard is not having enough fan power port

Before adding fan try to find what is the reason for cpu to get overheated. It can be due to thermal paste that is completely gone. When you keep on using your system for long time the thermal paste is dried up that cause the cpu to heat a lot more than before. You have to remove the cpu fan and check the paste and then fit the same back again. I am quiet sure that will be helping in fixing the issue. A single fan at the backside of system cause is enough. And if you need extreme cooling then portable liquid coolers are the best option.

Portable liquid coolers are too costly. But they are efficient compare to a regular cpu fan. It is a kind of one time investment. With single fan you can completely manage your entire system. And you have to upgrade your psu also fro that. For regular upgrade you have to buy a power supply that can provide you extra fan connectors. And you can connect the case fans on it directly. It will be a lot more efficient solution according to me. You will not have to add the pins on your motherboard.

You can use those regular molex power ports to connect all your fan and it will start working fine. You can hook your fan on the same and use them. You can find a lot of simple adapter on ebay for the same. It is good if you can buy two big size fan and connect them on the top of your cpu case. You will get two 120mm fans easily in the market and they are also cheaper. And it is also good to check your thermal paste status. Just remove the cpu and wipe out if the paste is dried up and add a new one.

According to me instead of putting money on system case fan, buy a good one for your cpu. You can get a nice one under Rs.2000 that can keep your system a lot more cooler than the regular one. Most of uses the stock fan and this fan cannot perform well when it comes to gaming. The cpu slowly gets hotter when you have extreme usage. There are few good fans that brings big size heatsink with copper pipes and they are relatively under a prescribed budget. You can buy the same and add that on your processor and use it.

In a single molex connector at a time you can add around 3 cpu fan. And this is quiet easy. You just need to have a adapter to use it. You can buy that from eBay and you can use the same for connection. There are few adapter available that can provide you around 5 fan connection on a single molex power port. And it will start working well. By this adapter you can add as many fans you want on your system and use it. But it is good to check the cpu fan also. Upgrade that and your system will work a lot more better.