Thread: Looking for ideal cpu power for compressing files

Looking for ideal cpu power for compressing files

Which cpu can be good enough for compressing big files. I have a shared ftp server on my network. I am on a huge lan network. I have to frequently share file with people. When I try to share them directly in its original format the security software blocks access. But when archive it, then the security software allow to download. So I need a good processor which can fast compress the files and allow me to share them. Right-now I am simply sharing around 5 to 10GB of data daily. This would be increasing day by day. By my dual core processor is very slow in making archive.

Re: Looking for ideal cpu power for compressing files

For compressing files you need a good quad core cpu. I think Intel Core i7 would be best. It is a costly cpu, but the overall output is much better compared to any dual core processor. Better upgrade your entire system and then try back.

I had tested a Core i5 laptop recently. I am working on a Core 2 Duo system for video editing. My major work involve with video editing. I have to edit video and then at the end I make out a full hd video out of small clips. When I was doing the same on a core 2 duo system things were very slow. It take time and was not working well. But later on I just tested this on the Core i5 system that has a 8GB ram with 1GB. This was really fast. It took around 15 minutes to process a 2GB video. So it is not really necessary to go for a Cor e i7 processor. You can just try a Core i5 thing to ge the kind of thing you are looking for. It is more than enough to make your system work well.

That is right a Core i5 or a 8 core AMD processor with atleast 8GB of ram and 1GB gpu. Even if you don't add the graphic card then it is enough. Do not forget to choose the right motherboard. Low end board wont help much.