Thread: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 and Patriot RAM compatibility

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 and Patriot RAM compatibility

I am using a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard and have bought Patriot G Series DDR3 RAM and also using Intel i5 core processor. I have also updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest and all drivers are also upto date. After using this computer for a while I have noticed many instability. I tested the RAM and it constantly fails the memtest. Even after purchasing new sticks I still have the same problem. So it seems that there is some other issues? Can anyone tell me how should I troubleshoot my computer further? Thanks

Re: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 and Patriot RAM compatibility

There is a possibility of mix-matched RAM so you should not put it in the same channel or so. However, you can try the RAM in slots DDR3_1 and DDR_2 that might be the first 2 slots and dont do any other kind of installation. Or else you can even try to buy a matched set of RAM. You can try to go with either Corsair or GSkill as per your motherboard configuration that it requires.

It will be good if you can RMA both sticks of RAM so that they can be kept in pair. The memory sets are sorted into maching sets of 2 or 4 in your situation. You might have got the Patriot RAM with different and not compatible ICs. So even if you tweak the RAM settings in the BIOS it wont help much either. So, try to send both sticks and ask them to sent a replacement maching set of RAM.

I have seen that this issue is related to the USB3 controller. When you try to boot into Windows then it activates the controller for no reason with memory mapped I/O and then once it is activated then it causes issues until the next shutdown. So, try to turn off the onboard USB3 controller in BIOS and test again if it solves the problem. Let us know the results what you got.