Thread: Want help to add two different ram on my old motherboard

Want help to add two different ram on my old motherboard

Is it possible to add two different ram on the same board. My friend is selling off his 2GB ram which only a month old. I already have a 2GB ram stick. I had checked the specification of both which looks similar. But still I am not sure to go for that or not. The difference lies in ram mhz. Others things are same. My ram is a 800mhz while the one which I am getting is higher. So will it work.

Re: Want help to add two different ram on my old motherboard

It might work, but I am not really sure. You can use two ddr2 rams of different mhz. You have to check your motherboard specification for the same. Check what is the maximum mhz your board offers and on that basis test.

There is no way you can add two different ram on the system system. You have to check the specification. Number of time this thing depend on the motherboard. If the board is able to use two different ram then things might work, but if not then you will face issue. Always buy ram with same specs. Different specs will only create problem. I was also trying to do the same thing. I was having a 800Mhz ram and I bought 1333Mhz which my board did not supported. After adding that in the system then pc reboot. It failed to start. I removed the old one and added only new and it worked. So my old ram is wasted. I had kept that aside now. And there is no way through which you can fix those things. So here just get a proper compatible ram. The motherboard specification will tell you everything on the same.

It most likely will not work, especially if the timing isn't the same and they are of different Mhz.

I tried that long before. I had a 512MB of ram which I was trying to use with 2GB stick. The system worked, but Windows was unable to locate the new ram. You have to use one among them. Keep the other one as spare or sell it off.