Thread: 60C Intel Core 2 Duo temperature on idle, is it safe

60C Intel Core 2 Duo temperature on idle, is it safe

I had added a cpu temp monitoring widget on my desktop. And it shows me a constant 60C temperature. Sometime it increases also. Is this safe. I think the temperature is too high. In idle more it must be below 50C. And when I play game the temperature rises above 75C. I had never open my case. It is almost 8 months passed after I purchased this system.

Re: 60C Intel Core 2 Duo temperature on idle, is it safe

Looks like there is lots of dust inside. Due to which air ventilation is locked. You will have to open your cpu case and you will have to clean it. Try to remove all the dust and then check back. The temperature will fall back.

Just to confirm it is better to check the temperature in bios. Go in bios of your system and go under PC health. There you can find the current cpu temperature. If it is 60C then it is a bit high. In bios control the cpu fan. When there is more heat, the fan speed is increased so that there is more air ventilation and your cpu can stay cooler. But if the fan speed does not increase then it means you will have to change it. There is some issue with that. Most of the bios settings are configured on default. That means as per the cpu temperature the fan speeds are controlled. But if the fan is damaged then it might not work well. So the first thing you have to do is check in the bios. See that the temperature remains constant or it is falling. If it falls then there is nothing much to worry. But if not then you have to add a new fan. Try to clean your system after a regular time interval. So that the accumulated dust inside does not block the airflow. If you are sure about opening the cpu case then you can simply touch the cpu and checkout the temperature. That is instantly after turning it off.

That is common I think. You do not require to worry about the temperate. I think between 55 to 65 is common for almost all pc. If you had kept your pc on the ground floor then this temperature is common. Try to apply a good heat-sink on your cpu and then check back.