It is worth to upgrade only cpu or motherboard as well

Following is my system configuration:
    1. Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard
    2. Intel Pentium Processor G2020
    3. 2GB RAM
    4. 500GB Samsung Hard drive
    5. Forsa Nvidia GeForce GF2101 1GB DDR3 GPU
    6. Circle ATX Cabinet.

Now above you can see my system hardware configuration. I am looking for a gaming pc. I had purchased this system almost a year ago. I thought this will be great for gaming output. But rightnow it does not looks to be working well with new games. There is lagging and freezing performance. I want some help here to upgrade my system. Just by upgrading the processor will I get a better gaming output or I will have to upgrade the board also.

Re: It is worth to upgrade only cpu or motherboard as well

Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard motherboard offers you LGA 1155 socket. And there are few set of Intel processor available in the market which gives you the same socket support. I think you can go for cpu upgrade only.

When we talk about gaming then it is essential that you must use a set of good hardware so that the output is better. You are using a entry level motherboard. Even if you add a Core i5 processor on that the performance will remain the same. As the board is not capable of giving you high bus speed. It is better to upgrade both. The gpu which you are using is also entry level. Now I am going to recommend you a motherboard and processor. If it is fits in your budget then you can go for it. You can sell your existing hardware to collect some fund for the new upgrade. ASRock Z77 Pro 3 Motherboard comes for Rs.7,500.This board features Intel Z77 chipset which is recommended great for gaming output. The board has support for Intel Core i7 processor so that you will also does not need to worry about future upgrades. For ram it offers you to run upto 4GB @ 1866Mhz. Which is quiet enough I think. So just checkout the board and add a good processor on it. In future you can also upgrade your graphic card to build up a extreme gaming pc.

ASRock Z77 Pro 3 is a costly motherboard. If you add a processor that your budget simply cross 10k bucks easily. It is necessary that you must go with a more budget upgrades in the market. There are ample of reasonable boards available.

For a gaming pc it is essential to have a mixed hardware config which can deliver balance performance. There are two budget boards available in the market. The first one is ASUS P8B75-M LX that comes for 5250. It gives you Intel B75 chipset. Which is not bad for gaming output. While the second one is ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP which offers you Intel H77 chipset. Both the boards are enough great for offering you LGA 1155 socket on which you can install and configure the latest Intel Core i series processor. For gpu upgrade to a 2GB gpu with more memory and latest config. Ample of gpu which are sold today offers you DDR3 memory channel that is great in output and also good in performance. When you use a new graphic card you get more additional technologies on the same, while on old card you can just play games on minimum settings.

You have a nice MOB , my suggestion is just upgrade the processor only because Supports 3rd Gen. Intel 22nm CPUs and 2nd Gen. Intel Core CPUs (LGA1155 socket) just upgrade the processor itself..