Thread: Using new cpu on a old motherboard

Using new cpu on a old motherboard

I want some help to get a new processor. I am having a Gigabyte G41 series motherboard. I had purchased the same 2 years before. Now I want to buy a new processor. I will preferably go for Intel Core i series cpu. But will it work on my older board. Is there any possible way by which I can upgrade the board also. I can only buy a cpu this time. I am not having a really good budget. I just want to add more gaming performance to my system and for that adding a good cpu is somewhat better.

Re: Using new cpu on a old motherboard

No you cannot do that. There is a difference between the cpu socket and the motherboard socket. When they match then only you can use a processor on the system. It is recommended that you must not mess around with the same. Try to contact some expert on the same.

If you want to go with a budget update then I can recommend you something here. You said you are having a Gigabyte G41 series board. This board supports Intel Core 2 Duo cpu. You can go on web and get a more better C2D processor. There are some different series in it. You can buy a new one which is more powerful than your older one. Then you can buy a 2GB ram stick which is also cheaper. The last thing you can do is get a good 1GB graphic card. Which is quiet enough I think. For any game you just need a good graphic card and processor upto Intel Core 2 Duo. Every game will work on the same. On the basis of your system configuration you can buy a decent 2GB card from ATI or Nvidia. This are two giants in the market. The cost might cost you between Rs.2000 to Rs.5000. You can choose a good one and add the same in your pc. I think that will be simply more than enough for gaming. On the same hand if you are having a crt monitor then again this will be annoying to play games. Widescreen LCD monitors are more better for gaming.

What is your maximum budget. If you can give the exact amount here then I can simply help you in choosing the right hardware for upgrade. That is more appropriate I think. And if you are buying a new processor just go for a new board also. It will be good for future.

The board which you had mentioned G41 supports Socket 775. On that basis you can choose different processor. Intel Core i Series has LGA1155 socket. The new generate is different. So in case if you want to add a i series cpu then you will need to buy a new motherboard also. But if you are willing to upgrade the existing one I can list you some more processors here. I can only find four processor under Socket 775. They are Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93Ghz, Intel Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz, Intel Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz and Intel E8500 @3.16Ghz. Among all of this the last one E8500 is the most powerful processor. It supports your board and comes for Rs.12750 while new Core 2 Duo processor will cost you half of that. The system can be upgraded well to new gaming pc just by making a few changes. But if you are willing to change the board then you can buy any good intel board that LGA1155 socket and add a Intel Core i3 processor on the same. Do not forget to add a graphic card on the same. Without that you cannot expect a good performance.

According to me better go for a complete upgrade. That will be more cheaper. You can buy simply a brand new system with more better performance and latest hardware. This indirectly will boost your system output. There are ample of sites on web which offers you proper hardware config.

I can give you a short list of different motherboard and processors on the web. You can simply go ahead with one which fits your budget well. I am here assuming that you are willing to buy a new motherboard also. So I am recommending model under LGA1155. Which will be simply more appropriate. Under LGA1155 you have ample of Intel Core i3 series and higher processor. Based on your requirement you can choose the one which suites best your need. If you upgrade your board to LGA1155 you get ample of processor models on the web. Just checkout the short list below.
    Processor :
    • Intel Core i3 @ 3.3 GHz - Rs.7102
    • Intel i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz - Rs.10350
    • Intel Core i5-2310 @ 2.9GHz - Rs.10494

Motherboard :
    • Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H - Rs.7590
    • Intel DZ77SL-50K - Rs.7920
    • Intel DZ68DB - Rs.8450
    • ASUS P8Z77-VLX - 11918