Thread: Hard drive not detected on Intel motherboard connected through RAID Card.

Hard drive not detected on Intel motherboard connected through RAID Card.

I need help with configuration of secondary hard drive on Intel motherboard. I am having a 80GB IDE drive. It was used in my old computer. My new system which is having Intel motherboard does not has IDE connector. It only has sata. My friend gave me his RAID PCi Card. He told through this the hard drive will be detected and I can use it as a backup. I am already having a 500GB Hard disk in my system. After connecting, the system found nothing.

Re: Hard drive not detected on Intel motherboard connected through RAID Card.

Right click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager. Check in that whether you find any new hardware detected or not. It can be a driver issue due to which the hard drive is not detected. If the card is available under with any warning sign on it right click on it and click update drivers. If it is not found then just mention what is the model of that raid card. Post it here, I can help you to find the right drivers for it. You can also find the same on the site of that card manufacturer.

I think that is some kind of bios feature. You have to check in the bios and enable RAID in it. Only after that it will be detected. Instead of buying that you can simply get a SATA to IDE converter. You can use that to connect the drive inside your hard drive. I am using two IDE hard drive through that. I had bought a small converter cable that works really well. I think you must try the same if the pci card does not work. Just verify the settings inside bios.

Try to change the card slot. Place it on other slot. There can be issue with the slot I think. I had also faced the same issue on my graphic card. First when I had connected on slot one there was no display. I thought the card was faulty. But later on when I connected on second slot it worked. So that fault lies with the pci slot itself. When you connect the card do you get any notification on the screen. A popup window of found new hardware wizard. If not then there can be issue with card also.

I am doubtful about the card. I think it is faulty due to which you find no indication on your screen about installation. Using SATA to IDE converter is a good choice because it is a cheaper solution compared to RAID card and also it is easy to setup. In RAID you have to go in your bios first, enable the settings and then simply move ahead with different configuration settings. Atleast there must be a notification of driver installation on your screen. Or else the card is damaged. You can try changing the slots.