Thread: How to take Bios backup of Intel Desktop Board

How to take Bios backup of Intel Desktop Board

I am using a old Intel Desktop Board. I just purchased a new system. The old one is having some issue with hard drive connectivity. It sometime fails to find my second drive. And also the lan adapter stops working. But after running a bios update things went fine. Now it is working fine for almost 3 months. I am not having any issue. Before I was able to easily find a bios file on web, but now it looks the model is discontinued and there is no bios file available. I need some help to backup the bios of this system and then restore it back easily.

Re: How to take Bios backup of Intel Desktop Board

Restart your system and go in your bios. I think there will be some option available in that to backup bios if it is not very old system. In new motherboard of Gigabyte I had seen a automated utility that copies the bios file in the pen drive and ample of them comes with dual bios chip. If one fails the other one is ready to work. Many website offers a bios backup utility but I am doubtful whether it work really well or not. But still you can try the same out. I found a tool named as Bios Flash. You can download this it is a very tiny tool that backup and allows you to flash the bios.

Download Universal Bios Backup Toolkit. This is one of the best tool I think that works really well with bios backup. For old system it is always a pain to flash bios. Because you have to use a floppy drive for restoring it. While in new motherboard, due to usb support you have to just navigate to the bin file and hit enter. The file is restored automatically. I had used Universal Bios Backup Toolkit a number of time on different systems and it works great. It gives you the bios copy that you can use for re-flashing the same.

The only draw back of Universal Bios Backup Toolkit is that it does not allow you to restore the bios file. It is a bit pain to do that manually. Recently on a very old system I tried to do the same using cmd. Somehow the flash did not worked well and my system crashed. Backup is possible but what about restoring. There must be some desktop based utility that can allow to restore the file instantly using a saved location from the system itself.

Try using AMI Bios. It is good for old motherboard. The reason to use floppy is, that the bios is not able to read any other storage media. Even after upgrading to the latest file I do not think you will get a usb support on that. You have to go for a traditional way of restoring the bin file and ensure that your system connectivity does not fail while doing that. Bios backup may be easy, but restoring that is annoying. And for that there is no application available on which you can trust. Try to scan the drive disc that you got with the motherboard. There is a bios update utility provided in that.