Thread: UEFI boot problem with Linux on Intel DQ77MK

UEFI boot problem with Linux on Intel DQ77MK

I have an Intel DQ77MK motherboard in my computer. This motherboard has a UEFI built in it. The problem is that I need to use Red Hat Linux for my use and I am trying to install it on my computer which is not happening because of the UEFI built. I cannot boot into the setup of Red Hat Linux to install it. I thought that this motherboard was compatible with Linux and thus I purchased it. Can someone help me with this problem?

Re: UEFI boot problem with Linux on Intel DQ77MK

I don’t have much knowledge about Intel DQ77MK, but if it is possible to debug the UEFI booting that is present in your motherboard, then you can write debug log to serial console (AMT SOL). If the UEFI grub supports serial console, then I will suggest you to try out ‘console=ttyS1’ command to get into the boot process of the Red Hat Linux on your Intel DQ77MK motherboard. If this is not possible, then you can consider the option of re-installing another version of the firmware or re-flashing the BIOS in this motherboard.

I think that the version of the red Hat Linux you are trying to install in your Intel DQ77MK motherboard must be the older version for which the Ivy Bridge processor is not meant. This thing can be changed with minor editing to the kernel of your Red Hat Linux. Intel DQ77MK motherboard is an Ivy Bridge motherboard and you will need to download a kernel for Red Hat Linux that will add compatibility of Ivy Bridge processors. I think it is the Linux Kernel 3.5 that will provide you with Ivy Bridge support. You can try it out.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

You can try installing the Red Hat Linux 6 in your computer which has inbuilt support for Ivy Bridge motherboards and thus it will properly boot in Intel DQ77MK’s UEFI built. This operating system has back ported the support for the UEFI built in its kernel. I think this will show you only grub EFI messages on your screen while installing and not Linux kernel boot messages. Also you can try the 0049 BIOS which are compatible with Intel DQ77MK motherboard. I think flashing these BIOS will help you install Red Hat Linux on your computer.

I don’t think that the motherboard you purchased is in its right state. I mean Intel DQ77MK has it written on its box which says that it is compatible with Windows 7 as well as Linux. I think that you should take this problem to your vendor and get it tested from him itself. If there is something wrong with the Intel DQ77MK motherboard, you can get it RMA from the manufacturer. You will just need to present the original purchase bills and receipts.