Thread: Adding second Raid 1 pair in Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Adding second Raid 1 pair in Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

My system is having Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard and currently I am having one pair of RAID 1 drives and I am willing to add second RAID 1 pair. I have checked regarding it and have found that it can be added but I wanted to know the connector that I will have to use and what all changes has to be done in bios, help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Adding second Raid 1 pair in Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Firstly I want to clear it out from you whether you are willing to create whole new RAID1 array or you simply want to increase size of the existing array that you are having? If you want to create a whole new RAID1 array then you can add second Raid 1 with 2 x new disks where as if you want to increase size of the existing array you can create RAID 10 with your 4 x disks but for that you will have to reinstall your operating system.

For adding new RAID1 array you just have to add 2 x new disks to your system and reboot it. You should use Marvell controller ports (SATA 3), Once you can see it bios then you can press "Ctrl-I" for getting Intel raid configuration window. After getting the window you can configure the second new set off the intel ports/drives for your newly added disks. You don’t have to do anything differently, you just have to follow the same procedure that you might have followed for setting up your original drive to boot from. Once you have configured them successfully you can boot in to windows, initialize you’re newly added disks and give them desired letter.

Hey thanks for that, I have followed what you have suggested above but now there is something wrong going in the bios. As suggested I have added my new drives on Marvell controller ports (SATA 3) but I am not getting an option for setting them as RAID in BIOS? I have tried connecting them SATA 2 ports but they are getting read as 750 GB even though they are 3 TB ones. What should I do now, any ideas? Further help regarding this will be appreciated.

That’s weird, anyways in that case you should try updating the bios of your motherboard and see if you are getting any luck with that. Just make sure that you are updating to the latest available bios. If you get option for setting your drives as RAID in BIOS after connecting them to Marvell controller ports (SATA 3) and updating the bios then stick to it. You will get better speed if you connect it to SATA 3 ports rather than SATA 2 ports. If at all you don’t get that option then you can connect it to SATA 2 ports. Just try out what I have suggested and let me know the response you get so that I can have better idea of your case.

Updating bios to the latest did the trick! I got the option setting newly added drives as RAID in BIOS. Currently I am having them connected to Marvell controller ports (SATA 3) but I have also tested out them with SATA 2 ports and they were getting read properly. Things are working fine now but I doubt if I am getting better speed having connected my drive to SATA 3 ports as compared to SATA 2 ports. Can I do anything about it?