Thread: AMD Steamroller CPU FX series Specifications

AMD Steamroller CPU FX series Specifications

I was browsing internet when I encountered an article where it was said that AMD Steamroller CPU FX series will be coming out soon. I think that this is a good development from AMD and it will help many people to enhance their computers to a good extent. I too am excited about this CPU and wish to know more about it. I didn’t find much about this new processor, but if anybody else has found any details, can they share it with me?

Re: AMD Steamroller CPU FX series Specifications

The AMD Steamroller CPU FX series will be the successor of CPU chips of the Piledriver architecture. These new AMD Steamroller CPU FX series will be using Vishera Trinity chips for enhancing the graphical details of this processor. Declared n the Tweet Feed of Matthias Waldhauer, it is confirmed that this new processor will be out next year. With release of AMD Steamroller CPU FX series, it will mark the beginning of third generation processors in Bulldozer family. This new processor will have a radix 8 unit divisor which will enhance the performance of this processor greatly.

This new AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor is developed by David M. Russinoff. This is the same person who had developed DIV Llanos. Just like the K10 processor chips which lacked the presence of DIV based hardware in it, even the bulldozer processor chips will not have it. But AMD Steamroller CPU FX series will have FMAC units which can be charged only by state machine. This whole thing is a Llano donate unit which will be used. The previous version of this processor had Radix 4 unit and this one will have a radix 8 unit which is a great improvement in itself. Many people think that upgrading from radix 4 unit to radix 8 unit will double the performance, but let me tell you that the performance will be enhanced by three times.

Many people think that upgrading from radix 4 unit to radix 8 unit will double the performance, but let me tell you that the performance will be enhanced by three times.
    So this means that in one step AMD Steamroller CPU FX series will calculate three bits of result instead of two bits of result, now this s awesome. I am excited to know about the cryptic features that this processor will provide, but still no news has been confirmed regarding it. I hope that the cryptic features of AMD Steamroller CPU FX series will be the best in the series. But I still think that AMD is somewhat way behind Intel. Intel has already declared implementation of hardware equivalent to AMD’s radix 16 unit in their processor.

I don’t think that AMD is nowadays capable of making innovative hardware nowadays, the ideas of the people there seems to have come to an end. The idea of having the FPU being shared by two cores at a time has become so old. It was implemented by Intel a long time back and there is nothing new about it. AT present times, I expected something more complex than what has been implemented in AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor. Also one thing I have always hated about AMD’s processors is their quality of transistors being used. They fail to control the power consumption leading to bad voltage management.

I too think that AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor is not much interesting that we should keep waiting for it. Using the processors in division is not so user friendly and is a ‘tried by many’ kind of idea. I think that it will be the most little used processor ever developed by AMD. According to the level of hardware needed to satisfy the modern needs, elimination of DIV hardware doesn’t seem good idea for development of a product.

Also the root functions will be affected due to this type of method. I think that this processor will be available at low price and thus the developers have compromised on the quality of the hardware.

I think that this processor will be available at low price and thus the developers have compromised on the quality of the hardware.
    The bulldozer architecture used in AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor seems to be developed keeping an optimal performance in the mind. But I don’t think that performance of this processor will be much better than that of previous generation Phenom II X6 series chips. If this is the case, then AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor will be nowhere close to the Intel’s Sandy Bridge and the Ivy Bridge processor s available in the market. From what I have read and seen about this new processor, I feel that it is an innovative idea that has either gone wrong or failed to live up to the expectations. I think that the resources haven’t been utilized to its best and thus the disappointing results.

From the way AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor is designed it seems like AMD has quit on making the processors that give single threaded performance. While AMD has quit on it, it seems like Intel has mastered the art of making high quality single threaded processor and utilizing it to make processors of richer quality than that of AMD. Intel has shown the world that they can give better performance in a single threaded processor than a multi-threaded processor can ever give. Also Intel hasn’t increased the size of the processor which is the case of AMD processors. I think it’s time that AMD took some lessons from Intel to make processors that are user friendly as well as good in performance.

I think that AMD has failed a big time by bringing out an eight core processor for multi threading processing. The performance as we know of AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor is very much less than any modern processor with multi threading feature. Talking about the next generation processor, AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor is somewhat close to current generation processors in terms of its performance, architecture and innovation. Also regarding the graphics that will be provided by AMD Steamroller CPU FX series is a matter of thought, will they be good or will we have to depend on some high end graphic card.

According to me, AMD has been targeting the commercial purpose with its processors rather than overall use which will include entertainment, home use, storage and so on. I think that AMD Steamroller CPU FX series processor is good for commercial use where saving and maintaining the integrity of the data is very important. If single threaded processor fails, then there is no way to relieve the processes gone dead in it. But with multi-threaded architecture, I think that if one thread fails to perform, the other threads will help it out.