Thread: Intel Haswell vs Ivy Bridge Cpu

Intel Haswell vs Ivy Bridge Cpu

Guys I am willing to update my cpu and I was planning to get Ivy Bridge Cpu but now I have heard about Intel Haswell which will be launching soon, so I just wanted to know which one will be better between both?? I don’t want to let my wait go wasted if I will go for Intel Haswell.

Re: Intel Haswell vs Ivy Bridge Cpu

As far as I am aware Intel Haswell is said to be having 25 percent better performance as compared to Ivy Bridge Cpu. I just wanted to add that if you have not updated your system for long then go for Ivy Bridge Cpu for now as there is enough time for Haswell to get released. As it is just having 20% increase I don’t think that it is worth waiting so long. If you are having motherboard having PCIe 3.0 along with a video card having PCIe 3.0 then only go for ivy bridge CPU, else go for Sandy Bridge. I don’t think there will be much difference between performance of Intel Haswell and Ivy Bridge Cpu.

It would be better if you post your current system specification so that we can have a better idea of your requirement and will suggest you accordingly. Like |bOgUmIl has mentioned above if you have not updated your system form a long time then there is no use in waiting for Intel Haswell as it won’t be getting released sooner.

This is what I am having in my system currently:
    • Intel Core i5-2400 Processor
    • Asus h61 Motherboard
    • ASUS GTX 560 DCUII TI
    • 4x4 gb vengence ram
    • Cooler Master haf 912

I was thinking of upgrading to Intel Core i7-3770K Processor or wait for Intel Haswell.

See if you won’t be updating your processor sooner after updating to Ivy Bridge Cpu then I will suggest you to wait for Intel Haswell. Intel Haswell will be quite better than Intel Core i7-3770K Processor and much better than Intel Core i5-2400 Processor. As far as Core i7-3770K is concerned even I don’t think that there will be much difference between their performances until you are thinking of getting it for overclocking.

With Core i7 you can get better Clock rate and Graphics processing over Core i5. So if you are not much into gaming and overclocking then I think waiting for Intel Haswell will surely be a better choice, don’t have any doubt regarding the performance of Haswell, it will surely perform great and you won’t have any regret for your decision later.

I completely agree to MarDaA, I don’t think there is any point of switching from Intel Core i5-2400 to Intel Core i7-3770K, better wait and go for Haswell. If you would have Intel Core i3 then I would have suggested you to switch to Core i7-3770K rather than waiting for Haswell.

There won’t make much difference in cpu performance except gpu performance if you switch to Core i7 over Core i5. On the other hand if you are not having any issue in spending for Haswell when it gets released then a better cpu is always suggestible, I mean you can definitely go for Core i7 in that case.

Below is the difference between your Intel Core i5-2400 and Socket-1155
    Intel Core i5-2400:
    Number of cores-4
    Clock rate-3.1 GHz
    Cache-6 MB
    Thermal Design Power-95 W
    Technology-32 nm

Intel Core i7-3770K:
    Socket-1155
    Number of cores-4
    Clock rate-3.5 GHz
    Cache-8 MB
    Thermal Design Power-77 W
    Technology-22 nm:

As everyone has mentioned above choosing Core i7-3770K for now will be a better decision but I will like to tell you apart from that you get better battery life with Intel Core i5-2400 as it is using Technology-32 nm, so if you are into gaming then you should stick with Core i5. I have gone through some benchmark result of Core i7 and Core i5 but I really don’t see much difference between their performances. So as of all even Ill say wait for Haswell.